Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

marmalade jam

Posted by des 
des
marmalade jam
August 20, 2015 01:40AM
Hi, I am making some marmalade jam using grapefruit and a lemon and the recipe says to add a cup of sugar to a cup of pulp. Now the pulp has been soaking in 1.75 lts water and pulp juice. If I measure the pulp and water, I would need more sugar than if I just measured the pulp. Should I just drain the water into the pot, and then measure the pulp and sugar that way? It is supposed to make 6x250ml jars. Can anyone advise me please. Thanks Des

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 01:41AM by des.
Re: marmalade jam
August 20, 2015 02:48AM
When I soak the plup with water I use cup for cup of the pulp/water (together) mixture and sugar. I wouldn't recommend draining off the water from the pulp first and then measuring the sugar against the pulp. However, others may have done this and find it works ok and reduces the amount of sugar and still sets properly.
Regards,
Dawn.
des
August 20, 2015 03:32AM
Thanks dawn, I am boiling the pulp mix now. Haven't put the sugar in yet. The pulp measures 3-1/2 cups. Measured with water/juice mix comes to 6-8 cups which means that amount of sugar which seems a bit much. I think I'll put 4 cups sugar and go from there. des
August 20, 2015 08:57AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it sets OK for you Des.
Regards,
Dawn.
des
August 20, 2015 10:56AM
Thanks everyone, the jam set ok although I only finished up with 3 jars. Might have boiled it too much. Should be alright I hope.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.