Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Meat Thermometers.

Posted by marylew 
Meat Thermometers.
September 05, 2015 06:44AM
Do you members use meat thermometers to check if the roast is cooked to your satisfaction. I have seen one for sale on a one day deal site and wonder if they would be an asset .If anyone uses one and is happy with it can you recommend it please.I am always guessing if I should remove the meat now or give it a bit longer.Is it better to pay more for a really good one or would a one day sale type do?Thanks.
Re: Meat Thermometers.
September 05, 2015 07:25AM
I've used one for years and wouldn't be without it. Great for knowing when chicken really is done, but without overcooking it.

I have two, a Polder remote unit that you stick the probe in the meat and the cord dangles out of the oven and into the unit and it constantly measures the temperature (and beeps at the set point), and CDN probe that you stick it in something, wait for it to read, then remove. Both have their place, in my kitchen at least. Personally I'd be inclined to pay more for a unit with a good reputation, because really you want it to be accurate.

I bought my Polder one a long time ago when I lived in the US, and ordered the CDN from Amazon about 2 years ago, and paid all of about $8 shipping or some such.

I cook chicken until the breast measures at least 74C when I check in several places, and for medium beef, I cook until 54C and let it rest up to 57C. Some of the newer USDA temperature charts are nuts though - they call medium 65C for "health" reasons, but if you cook beef until 65C it sure has heck won't be medium.
September 05, 2015 08:56AM
I just have a plain ordinary Wiltshire brand meat thermometer which didn't cost me very many dollars and it's wonderful. As Jenna says, I wouldn't be without it now. I wish now I'd bought one 40 years ago! We don't have roasts all that often, but it's jolly handy when we do, takes the guesswork out of roasting.
Regards,
Dawn.
September 07, 2015 12:14AM
The new wireless ones are great and not too expensive if you shop around. We use one all the time with our BBQ and smoker. We can be inside , warm and cosy, and still know when the meat is ready by the base unit inside our house or by our phone(some work this way)
September 07, 2015 08:43AM
Hi Stephanie D where can I see online a wireless one as I have not heard of them?
September 07, 2015 09:45AM
I can't give you specific sites as we have had ours for a couple of years but I saw one advertised in junk mail at the weekend, think it was Mega Mitre 10. I think it was called an i thermometer and ran on i phones or android. There are quite a few different types, if you just do a google search you should find them.
September 07, 2015 12:09PM
I use a meat thermometer regularly too. I have a digital one, there is no brand on it, but it came from Briscoes, and it works fine, and is simple to use, although I agree that you need to research the optimal temperature for what you are cooking as the recommended temps are too high. I also have a Heston Blumenthal one, which I've never been able to work. It is designed to have a digital display on the outside of an oven, while the probe is inside, sounds great, but is very confusing to use, so I don't recommend that one.
September 07, 2015 12:28PM
Griz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
. I also
> have a Heston Blumenthal one, which I've never
> been able to work. It is designed to have a
> digital display on the outside of an oven, while
> the probe is inside, sounds great, but is very
> confusing to use, so I don't recommend that one.

That's comforting! I have one too and it takes me so long to fathom out how to set it each time that I've given up using it. And when I have actually managed to set it the alarm hasn't worked.

I will definitely look for the wireless kind as I've had a bad run with cheese thermometers as well and have resorted to using an ancient mercury sugar thermometer.
September 07, 2015 12:32PM
Stephanie D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The new wireless ones are great and not too
> expensive if you shop around. We use one all the
> time with our BBQ and smoker. We can be inside ,
> warm and cosy, and still know when the meat is
> ready by the base unit inside our house or by our
> phone(some work this way)

Is this it Stephanie?

[www.amazon.com]
September 07, 2015 10:55PM
That is one type, if you search wireless meat thermometer, you will find many different kinds. I can't recommend any particular one, you just have to do the research and hope the one you get is fantastic.Our one is now 2 years old and technology changes so quickly. Our one only has one probe but the new ones have two- I would go with 2.
September 07, 2015 11:23PM
I've got a Hester Blumenthal one and I keep the instructions close to my cooking area, laminated so it just needs a wipe down. I can only work it by reading step by step every time. It is complicated. I got it on FlyBuys but it's not one of my better rewards. It did work well until one day I set the temperature to 71ÂșC to roast a chicken and within 20 minutes the alarm was beeping and the screen said 71, but of course, when I tested the chicken with a thin wooden skewer, the blood came pouring out. I've never used it since. Perhaps it's a candidate for the op-shop, complete with laminated instructions!
September 08, 2015 10:17AM
hello every one if you need learn cooking arabic in egypt go to fatakat

its very important website in egypt talk about cooking all the arabic sites

if you need more cook go to

how to make pizaa

good bye every one
September 11, 2015 02:40AM
I dont but with larger cuts of meat Ive had to do the hit and miss approach.
It sounds like it would be a great investment to go with your tips on the perfect roast potatoes.
Thanks guys, Ive shared the par boil, add flour and rough up, and pop into hot oil way to many friends and we are all sold!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.