Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Nasty avocados

Posted by Stephanie T 
Nasty avocados
October 07, 2015 11:12PM
Why is it that at this time of year the Hass avocados are pale and unpleasantly watery? Picked too early? Wrongly stored?
Re: Nasty avocados
October 07, 2015 11:33PM
As I understand it when they are watery it means they were picked too early. I have just about given up trying to find decent avocados. Occasionally we strike it lucky but not often.

I bought two last week, they looked fresh and perfect, but the first one we ate was good and the second, which we ate this morning, was watery and flavourless.
October 07, 2015 11:47PM
I don't think Hass avocados are ready until November.What we see in the shops now I feel are unripe wind falls.I don't buy them.
October 08, 2015 01:27AM
I buy my avocados from [www.avocadotoyou.co.nz] They come from the Coromandel and I can really recommend this orchard. Courier delivery is very reasonable to the South Island. The avocados are picked green and obviously handled with care. They are, in my opinion, of excellent quality. It means that I buy a box, which is around 12 or so avocados dependant on size. Ideally, it would be good to share a box because they ripen all at once although I store some in the fridge. The price is excellent as far as I am concerned as I don't have ready access to specials as we've got just one supermarket here.
October 09, 2015 10:49PM
I agree, not great at the moment. Chris must give that company a try we love avocado`s.....
October 09, 2015 11:19PM
According to my greengrocer the avocados available up until now have been stored all winter and then quickly gas ripened and that is why they are watery and lacking in flavour.
I have seen a few signs this week advertising "new season" avocados but think they need a few more weeks before I will be buying them.
I think it is our desire to have everything all year round and therefore we are often eating lacklustre produce.
October 10, 2015 09:20AM
Thanks for the tip re the storing over winter Helen.
Im not paying $2.99 for a watery avocado from last year.
Vanessa
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.