Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Dried Broad / Fava Bean

Posted by The Frumious Pomme 
Dried Broad / Fava Bean
January 07, 2016 03:30AM
Hello foodies,

Does anyone know where I can buy dried broad beans in NZ? They are in every supermarket in the UK with all the other dried beans and pulses, but I just can't find them here - they make a very delicious spicy tapas dish. I have tried using fresh ones instead but they just aren't the same. Maybe they can be dried easily....?
DK
Re: Dried Broad / Fava Bean
January 07, 2016 12:58PM
I haven't seen any in my shopping travels but I haven't been looking for them. Maybe try Middle Eastern grocers? Are you in Auckland?
January 07, 2016 09:24PM
I've found them in Middle Eastern and In**ian food markets but not in supermarkets.
January 07, 2016 11:58PM
I've had some in the past ( I think to make falafel) but I don't remember where I purchased them. TPANDAV has the right idea. I would like to know about your spicy tapas dish oh frumious pomme.
We have downloaded Windows 10 and typing is proving difficult.
DK
January 17, 2016 12:51AM
If you are in Auckland I just bought some at Bulk Food Savings in Mt Eden. They are the hulled and split variety.

Also, something else I get there is coin papads which are small poppadoms 3cm across, perfect for canapes. The reason I mention them is that I remember Helen was looking for something similar a few years ago,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 12:53AM by DK.
January 17, 2016 07:55AM
I bought a packet of dried salted edamame beans at Farro Fresh last week (in Auckland) if those are similar to what you are after. Very moreish with a glass or two in the afternoons, smiling smiley
January 27, 2016 08:43PM
They sound great, we eat the frozen ones a lot - Im going to hunt the dried ones out though as could be a great snack at work.
Do you remember the price and grams? I think the frozen ones are 500g for about $3
DK
January 30, 2016 04:12AM
@Vanessa, the dried broad beans (fava beans) that the OP is after and the frozen edamame beans that mantilla mentions are not the same. Edamame are young, fresh soy beans. You can get dried soybeans but they have to be soaked and then long-cooked like any other dried bean.
January 31, 2016 02:10AM
Our local Moshims store (Rotorua) sells the dried fava beans, and lots of other mysterious dried stuff.
I would love you to share your recipes using this type of dried bean.
Have fun!
DK
May 22, 2016 01:51AM
Addendum to my earlier truly : I've just bought some unhulled ones at Bulk Food Savings as well.
May 23, 2016 10:29PM
I usually plant broad beans each year in our vege garden, last year I ended up with a lot of broad beans that were mostly past their best by the time I got around to picking them. I dried them on a tray in a sunny window and ended up with about 3 kg of dried broad beans. A couple of weeks ago I made my first batch of genuine falafel ( from scratch) with dried broad beans and chickpeas - I have to say it was hands down the best falafel I've had.
They are easy to dry yourself smiling smiley
May 23, 2016 11:41PM
Wow Sunday how cool that is. I would love to try the same.
That has actually reminded me not to miss the broad bean season. Last year I was too late in remembering to get mine in.
Possibly am now as well or is it still OK?
May 24, 2016 06:54AM
Not sure where you are Helen but it's still fine to plant them here ( in Dunedin) so pretty sure it will be ok for you - since I think you are in warmer climes smiling smiley
[www.gardengrow.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 06:55AM by Sunday.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.