Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Tip Of The Day!!

Posted by Irene Field 
Tip Of The Day!!
January 07, 2016 09:48PM
The perfect way to seal a food bag without any clips. Perfect for left over crisps etc. Love it - and as usual, something so simple and obvious

[tinyurl.com]
J1
Re: Tip Of The Day!!
January 08, 2016 12:04AM
Whaddya mean "left over crisps etc"?
January 08, 2016 05:59AM
Exactly! No matter how large a bag of chips is, it contains a single servingsmiling smiley.
January 11, 2016 08:46PM
Awesome tip Irene but Ive the same problem - there are never any chips left .
January 11, 2016 09:25PM
My tip of the day: If you ever buy those little individual baked puddings or the individual jellies with fruit, keep the little bowls. They're perfect for cooking microwave poached eggs!
January 11, 2016 09:57PM
What a natty way to fold the bag - so simple when you think about it. Surely could be applied to other bags, not solely chips. Thanks for the idea Irene.
Regards,
Dawn.
January 11, 2016 11:36PM
No problems Dawn, which is why I posted it. I tried it on other bag types since posting this, and I find if the bags are either smaller or thicker (I tried it with a bag of Semolina), it comes undone. Still worth a try and especially as I seem to always run out of clips smiling smiley
January 18, 2016 06:19AM
Great idea, although I may need to use the video as I am doing it so I get it right.
I am still trying to work out how to fold fitted sheets neatly - after all these years. smiling smiley
J1
January 18, 2016 08:37AM
I just use twist ties on bags, etc, to close them. Is this not really normal? Do most people use clips? I find the short ties they include with plastic bags too short and useless so ages ago I bought a bagful of long twist ties (150mm). You can get 200mm ones too [www.attwoods.co.nz]

Edited to add that oh, yes, Griz has reminded me that I use clothes pegs on bags that twist ties don't work well on, e.g., 1.5kg flour bags, rolled oat bags.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 11:57PM by J1.
January 18, 2016 10:05AM
I either use a rubber band (saved from the bunches of asparagus we eat during spring), or a clothes peg.
January 19, 2016 12:31AM
I guess it's personal preferences. I prefer the clips
January 19, 2016 07:50AM
I recently bought a pack of clips when I realised that using clothes pegs indicated I was becoming my late mother. There were more clothes pegs in her cupboards/fridge/freezer than there were in the laundry! For that same reason I won't use bread bags for storage of anything.
Lynne2
January 19, 2016 11:31PM
I use bag clips, 4 of 3 different sizes to each bag at $2.50. Saves any hassle. And yes, I sometimes use spring-type clothes pegs. They are such handy things to have around the house for all sorts of uses, and as I've already become my mother, I'm past caring.
February 10, 2016 03:32PM
I typically use chip clips. I fold the top of the bag down to just above the chips before putting the clip on the bag. A couple of frugal alternatives are to use wooden or plastic clothespins or to secure the bag closed with a large paperclip.

Skinny Me Chocolate is a delicious chocolate that not only tastes great but is 100% sugar free.
February 18, 2016 12:27PM
I use pegs too, but thank you for the great tip.
February 19, 2016 12:53AM
Use 2-3 plastic containers to crumb fish or chicken pieces - you fingers NEVER get all icky with the egg/flour/breadcrumb mix.

Vanessa

Freeze leftover vegetables to be added to stock or soups - never waste anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.