Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Brazil and Pineapple Cake

Posted by PatMac 
Brazil and Pineapple Cake
March 04, 2016 03:47AM
I have been trying for years to get my hands on a recipe for a Brazil and Pineapple Cake that Pandoro make. Asked Pandoro but they declined. Wondering if anyone has a recipe for such a cake tucked away that they may like to share please.
Re: Brazil and Pineapple Cake
March 04, 2016 04:40AM
Hi PatMac, can you describe what the cake is like.
Is it carrot cake like in texture or a finer crumb?
March 04, 2016 06:00AM
Hi. It is more like a carrot cake texture. Totally to die for, so yummy.
March 04, 2016 06:06AM
PatMac do you think the cake does have carrot in it?
March 04, 2016 10:32AM
Hi, are you meaning basil and pineapple cake or definitely Brazil and pineapple cake?

Clare
March 04, 2016 10:41AM
Oooh, does this look like it? [eatinmykitchen.meikepeters.com]
March 05, 2016 10:27PM
No I don't believe it has carrot in.
March 05, 2016 10:28PM
Definitely Brazil nuts.
March 05, 2016 10:29PM
I saw this cake recipe whilst searching the net....similar texture....NO carrots.
March 06, 2016 12:04AM
And here I was thinking Brazilian rather than nut.
March 06, 2016 02:02AM
Anything like this? [www.food.com] Has Brazil nuts and pineapple.
March 08, 2016 01:00AM
Hi,
I ate this cake about 6 years ago in Wellington and have constantly searched for it. I can confirm it is brazil and pineapple and this cake was made by a catering company for a 60th party so it could have been Pandoro. I will hunt again as it's a while since I tried.
March 08, 2016 02:05AM
Gosh I think I need to go to Pandoro and buy a slice of this cake. Must be worth it if there are people searching for the recipe.
J1
March 08, 2016 02:05AM
Maybe Pandoro don't make it and that might explain why they declined to give you the recipe (because they don't know it themselves)? Pandoro might be getting it in from Zaida's, another Wellington bakery that supplies other outlets and has a brazil and pineapple cake listed in their products [zaidas.co.nz]

Based on the Zaida image of the cake, if I were trying to replicate this cake I'd start with this recipe [allrecipes.co.uk] and substitute a 227g tin of pineapple in and delete the carrot (since you say it doesn't have any in it) and I'd also delete the orange because otherwise the mixture's going to be too soggy. I'd be looking carefully at the wet levels and texture of the cake at this point and deciding on what to add in to replace all the carrot taken out. Interestingly, this recipe has some alternative suggestions at the end of it and one of them is to sub in pineapple (but keep most of the carrot),remove the orange and replace the brazil nuts with pecan nuts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 02:24AM by J1.
March 08, 2016 06:12AM
The other day I managed to get up a photo of Pandoro's Pineapple and Brazil Nut cake complete with main ingredient description, but do you think I can find it today? The answer is - No!! However, I have found Pandoro's description of the cake which is:

'Pineapple & Brazil nut

Playful mix of grated apples, crushed pineapples & chunky brazil nuts, topped generously with cream cheese icing & a ring of toasted coconut chips.'

Looks as if the secret ingredient is grated apples! So I hope this helps you to be able to replicate the cake!
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
March 08, 2016 07:16AM
Ah, that's interesting Dawn. Grated apples instead of carrots - very good.
March 08, 2016 08:04AM
Ah, yep J1, and apple has more moistness than carrots IMHO so careful consideration would need to be given to the wet ingredients.
Regards,
Dawn.
joy
March 09, 2016 03:22AM
Is this the cake you wanted? It was on line

Pineapple and Brazil nut cake

ingredients,

Eggs 2

Soft brown sugar 6 Ounce (175 Gram)

Oil 5 Fluid Ounce (150 Milliliter)

Canned crushed pineapple 8 Ounce, drained (225 Gram)

Plain flour 8 Ounce (225 Gram)

Baking powder 1 Teaspoon

Brazil nuts 2 Ounce, chopped (50 Gram)

Oil 1 Tablespoon
Directions
MAKING
1) In a large bowl, add the eggs, sugar, oil and crushed pineapple, blend well.
2) Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into the mixture, stir in the brazil nuts.
3) Spoon in the mixture into a greased and lined 7 inch cake tin and bake in a preheated oven for 1 hr; turn out and cool on a wire rack.
SERVING
4) Serve on a nice dish.

Read more at [ifood.tv]
March 09, 2016 03:54AM
I just phoned Pandoro Parnell and they don't have it in stock as said it isn't as popular as some of there other cakes.
I asked who made it and they said that it is there bakery. Not sure they would have told me if it was otherwise.
March 20, 2016 05:23AM
Thanks for the reply but sadly (for me) no.
March 20, 2016 05:31AM
Hi Joy Thanks for the reply.......yes I saw this recipe and thought yay.... till I read a readers comment... they.said it did not rise at all! I shall have to take on board Dawn's reply when she quoted Pandoro's description of this yummy cake. Grated apple.....interesting. Would still LOVE this original Pandora recipe but obviously they just don't want to share! sad smiley
March 21, 2016 12:27AM
Perhaps try one of those magazine columns that goes to them and gets the recipe?
March 23, 2016 09:59AM
Ahh yes good idea PatMac. Food Magazine do exactly that.
March 23, 2016 10:58AM
PatMac, do you think this recipe from Ruth Pretty could be adapted. The addition to this recipe as well as crushed pineapple and grated apple seems to be grated carrots and coconut and there are no Brazil nuts in Ruth's recipe, which you would need to add, but, (with a little luck) it might replicate the recipe you are wanting? I'm certain Pandoro have not divulged all the important ingredients to their cake!

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

I still cannot find the Pandoro's picture of their cake, which I did originally find!
Regards,
Dawn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.