Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Whats was for dinner tonight?

Posted by IngridO 
Whats was for dinner tonight?
May 16, 2016 12:19PM
My lovely mother came over and made Shepherds Pie for the family followed by stewed fruit and custard - Good ole fashioned winter comfort food (even though it still feels like summer in Auckland)

What did you have for dinner?
Re: Whats was for dinner tonight?
May 16, 2016 12:29PM
For the first time in years I went and did a large supermarket shop at Pak n Save and while there I bought chicken breasts for teriyaki chicken. Unfortunately I bought what I call "unhappy chicken".
I arrived home and realised that two breasts filled my 28cm frying pan and was appalled, I completely lost any appetite.

The rest of the family happily ate their unhappy teriyaki chicken with rice and charred broccoli with almonds and garlic while I had the latter and some left over raw energy salad.

This shopping error has reminded me to continue to buy free range chicken of sensible sizes.
Meanwhile a large glass of water will quell my hunger and tomorrow is a new day.
May 16, 2016 12:34PM
Hubby ate left over crockpot pork chop with steamed broccoli, carrot and microwaved potato. I had a small piece of grilled salmon with salads.
Regards,
Dawn.
May 16, 2016 12:54PM
The unhappy chicken is rather frightening in size, isn't it. Unfortunately, our food budget can no longer stretch to free range chicken at >$25/kg, but I still hunt around and find the most normal looking sized breasts I can.

Dinner here tonight was potato soup with bacon for 3 of us and reheated frozen bolognese for one son who isn't a fan of the soup.
May 16, 2016 11:12PM
Last nights dinner was Moroccan beef casserole with a winter couscous - which is roasted broccoli, carrots, b/sprouts and onions with herbs and garlic,stirred through couscous. Was hoping to have left over couscous for lunch - sadly out of luck!!
May 16, 2016 11:21PM
We had unhappy chicken drumsticks with a crunchy coating, homemade oven fries and coleslaw. Yes I agree the size of chicken breasts is ridiculous (way too big for one serving) but the cost of free range is equally ridiculous. Ironically that sometimes results in it being reduced as it nears its use by date, so if you're in the right place at the right time, you can get some good bargains.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
May 16, 2016 11:23PM
Last night we had a Cambodian pork larb with shrimp paste and galangal, a Chinese cabbage dish with rice wine and dried shrimps, a Thai eggplant and mint dish, and Japanese rice. It felt a bit like being in a Bangkok food court and all worked together really well.
May 16, 2016 11:51PM
Home made Pizza here... although the bases were brought. I prefer the very thin pizza bases, topped that with home made Parsley Pesto, Vacuum Sealed Smoked Salmon that I purchased a year ago in Seattle, a small smattering of diced tomato, anchovies and both Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheeses.

I made two as I thought one could be for today's lunches. I had 2 slices and the rest was demolished by an obviously hungry husband!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2016 11:53PM by Irene Field.
May 17, 2016 04:29AM
If you think $25/kilo for free-range chicken is bad...I only buy free-range organic which costs $50/kilosmiling smiley. Yes, it's a ridiculous amount, but for us it's the only chicken that actually tastes of chicken. We compensate by eating it much less frequently (say once every three weeks) and we eat more vegetarian food in between.
May 17, 2016 08:11AM
I only buy free range chicken, pork and eggs, and yes we compensate for the increased cost by eating smaller amounts less frequently, and eating more vegetarian food. I think this is probably a good thing for our health.
Last night's dinner was leftover beef ragu with blue cheese mash. Tonight, as I start work in less than 2 hours and am only just awake now, will be free range smoked chook, kumara wedges and salad. I'll get a second meal from the chook later in the week. Best I get on with it!
May 17, 2016 12:17PM
I had two poached eggs for dinner. Once a week I try to have a' protein only day', and today was the day.
May 17, 2016 10:53PM
Crispy salmon with lemony lentils.
May 18, 2016 10:43AM
My kids had Lasagna I made that was for tomorrow night at 4.30pm and then my 8 year old son made his 4 year old brother and himself teriyaki chicken (from a jar) with a precooked pot of rice.
Very cute the younger one thought he was the bees knees having his big brother cook for him.

Im having a large cab sav and will probably make scrambled eggs!!!
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.