Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Lentils and tamari

Posted by Tess 
Lentils and tamari
May 20, 2016 01:48AM
I have a recipe that asks for 2 cups of green lentils - I've never seen these. Can I just use the tinned ones? Also within the recipe is 2 Tbsp of tamari - what is tamari and is there a subsitute if I don't have it?
Re: Lentils and tamari
May 20, 2016 01:56AM
Green lentils are also known as Puy lentils.

Tamari is a kind of soy sauce - use any good quality naturally fermented soy sauce as a substitute.
May 20, 2016 05:20AM
If your recipe states cooked lentils you probably could substitute with canned, but they won't be as good. If the recipe is for 2 cups of dried lentils that you then cook, the quantity will be out if you substitute with 2 cups of precooked (canned) lentils, as they swell when cooked, so you'll need to adjust for that.
May 20, 2016 08:56AM
Ceres does these green lentils they are usually by the gluten free foods in the supermarkets. I know Pak n save Albany this is where they are kept. Tamari is gluten free soy sauce.
J1
May 22, 2016 01:44PM
There are two kinds of green lentils.

One kind: [shop.coles.com.au] which are very similar to brown lentils and they tend to go mushy when cooked.

The other kind: [www.rawmaterials.com.au] which are known as French-style lentils. If these ones are grown in France (specifically in the Le Puy region), they're called Puy lentils but if they're grown somewhere else then they have to call them "French-style" instead because "Puy" is a protected designation. It's much cheaper to buy "French-style" than "Puy" lentils (even though they are the same thing - although some French people will argue vigorously about that statement). French-style lentils don't go mushy when cooked and can look very beautiful when combined with other foods.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.