Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Juniper berries

Posted by Tess 
Juniper berries
May 20, 2016 01:49AM
Does anyone know where I can get dried juniper berries? I have a very interesting recipe for a quince chutney and it asks for 2 teaspoons of crushed juniper berries. I wonder if there is a substitute if I can't get them.
Re: Juniper berries
May 20, 2016 01:55AM
Are you in Auckland? If so, I have found juniper berries at Harvest Wholefoods in West Lynn and at Mt Eden Bulk Foods in Walter's Road.

I cannot think of a substitute.
May 20, 2016 01:59AM
Bin Inn also stock dried Juniper berries. (I can only think of Gin as a substitute!!grinning smiley)
Regards,
Dawn.
May 20, 2016 02:08AM
Yeah, love the gin idea but haven't got any of that either unfortunately. I've just gone back to the recipe I found on the net and it says you can substitute 1 tsp of gin for every 2 berries. Or fresh rosemary sprig - taste is a bit different but similar enough to use as a substitution. Or a single crushed bay leaf. Interesting.
May 20, 2016 02:48AM
I remember seeing dried Juniper Berries (but a few years ago now) at our local Home Brew Shop. If you have any brew shops in your area, they may stock them
May 20, 2016 01:44PM
My local Countdown has them in the Mrs Rogers range of spices (packaged in a brown cardboard packet).
Lynne2
May 21, 2016 06:41AM
I have a 500g bag of them in my pantry, if you are in the Wairarapa you are welcome to them! (I bought them for a recipe I made, but the only place I could find them was Moore Wilsons, and only in bulk!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.