Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Whats your regular breakfast?

Posted by Vanessa45 
Whats your regular breakfast?
June 10, 2016 10:41PM
People seem to stick to the same food at breakfast time - what do you eat?

I always start with a coffee.
Then I have 2 eggs, either boiled, scrambled or made into an omelette with either vegetables, ham, salmon etc.
I often eat it in the car with a takeaway coffee whilst driving to work with my kids at 7.30am.
Its not ideal but at least Im sitting down relaxing (lol well kind of ;-) )

Vanessa
Re: Whats your regular breakfast?
June 11, 2016 12:53AM
Always coffee. Almost always eggs but there the sameness stops.

Fried eggs with bacon, tomatoes and fried kumara, with left over fried rice, with left over vegetable curry, with leftover spicy pilaf, with shakshouka, with chorizo and eggplant stew, with bubble and squeak. Scrambled eggs with bacon or smoked salmon, spinach or mushroom omelette with bacon or smoked salmon.

The only exception to eggs is if we're travelling and have full fat yoghurt with cream and banana.
June 11, 2016 01:09AM
Porridge with milk and brown sugar, coffee,
June 11, 2016 01:27AM
Two egg yolks, fried, on toasted vogels. Tea with milk and 1/2 sugar. I have that probably 350 days a year for the last 15 years. I find comfort in consistency..
June 11, 2016 04:44AM
I'm not really a big eater of breakfast but it's usually it's a light cereal, the one with apricots in it or a bowl of quick sachet of oats. English breakfast tea with milk and no sugar.
The exception being Sunday, when we usually go out for breakfast/brunch, that varies from scrambled eggs; poached eggs with bacon or french toast with bacon and banana and syrup on the side.
Definitely no coffee until later in the day.
June 11, 2016 07:53AM
I get bored with the same thing, also sometimes breakfast isn't until 1pm or so, and sometimes it's at 7am coming in from work and has to see me through a day of sleeping (I don't want to wake up hungry half way through the day). So I have a retinue of regulars depending on how I feel.
Poached egg on toast or a muffin with some sauteed spinach/mushrooms
Fruit and yogurt.
Porridge made with milk, some dried fruit and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup
Bircher muesli from Nadia Lim's book
Omelette and mushrooms/spinach/ham/tomato/cheese
Toast with peanut butter or vegemite
Cheese on toast with tomato or jalapeno (I love hot hot chilli!)
Toast with hummus and tomato
Smoothie made with beetroot, berries, mango and yogurt.

If I'm trying to wake up then I have a strong black coffee with it, if I'm trying to sleep then I tend to have a hot chocolate.
June 11, 2016 09:30AM
I ate Just right for about 12 years (I never ate breakfast from my mid teens through to my mid 20's and now understand how terrible that was. I switched from JR to Plain Cornflakes with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, because of how much sugar was in JR (I had no idea), in an effort to assist with losing 5KG, but in reality it hasn't helped and I hate eating breakfast again now.
June 11, 2016 10:06AM
The only variable in my breakfast would be the fruit. I start off with two cups of good strong plunger coffee with trim milk, followed by low fat Greek yoghurt with three tablespoons of oat bran and fruit. The fruit could be blueberries or whatever berries we have in the garden. In winter it would be plums, quinces or apricots that I froze. If we want more variety than I buy fresh pineapple, feijoas or kiwi fruit. Might sound boring but I am happy with it.
June 11, 2016 10:14AM
Networkn if you don't actually like eating breakfast then don't do it. There is some benefit to having a long fast (say from dinner time until lunch time) and would probably help you lose that 5kg, and it tends to improve glucose profiles if that is an issue too. As long as you don't have sweet/fatty foods at morning tea to replace breakfast, and keep to healthy foods at lunch and dinner.
June 11, 2016 11:42AM
I squeeze fresh ginger into a glass of pineapple juice topped up with water, then a small bowl of frozen raspberries with half a banana..Two cups of tea to follow. I find if I have any toast I'm hungry very soon after. Can go all day without any more food if not. On week ends we have a fry up. Eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms.
June 12, 2016 07:27AM
I've taken a liking to Pam's "Nuts & Seeds" muesli but I have to add about 1/2 dessert spoon each of toasted pumpkin seeds and toasted sunflower seeds then mix in my unsweetened Greek yoghurt and finally 1/2 teaspoon of toasted buckwheat is sprinkled on top. This is followed by a large mug of Red Seal green tea.
June 13, 2016 05:40AM
I'm in your camp, networkn, I don't like eating breakfast either, just a tall glass of iced water with lemon juice and a long black coffee for me. I've never liked bread, I'm not a great cereal fan and eggs first thing in the morning don't do much for me. I eat mostly fruit and yoghurt during the day, especially when I'm working and don't like being weighed down with food..

However, like Kone, come the weekend, we invariably have brunch of some sort - blueberry pancakes, bacon & grilled banana or bacon & eggs, mushrooms etc and homemade hash browns.

I agree with Griz, if your body doesn't 'do' breakfast then no point forcing the issue, just don't have it as long as it doesn't set up a pattern of eating the wrong things mid-morning or for lunch and provided you are having a good balanced meal in the evening.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 05:41AM by Barbara Anne.
June 13, 2016 06:01AM
My breakfast is plain cornflakes with some muesli sprinkled on top and lite blue milk.
Regards,
Dawn.
June 13, 2016 06:05AM
Mon-Fri, Homemade muesli or porridge if the weather is horrible. Weekends- anything or nothing.
June 16, 2016 04:17PM
Never should skip your Breakfast. Must have it at any cost and intake of healthy and good nutritional food. MY regular breakfast is either Oats or chepati. Take Oats is good for health and reduces fat in the body. smiling smiley helps to stay fit and healthy
June 21, 2016 12:54PM
Usually porridge with brown sugar and some kind of fruit like blueberries or banana, apple etc. Sometimes a bagel - in the weekends it's more likely to be something with eggs.
I love all breakfast foods and absolutely love a chance to cook breakfast foods at any time of day - brunch is my favourite meal ever smiling smiley
June 22, 2016 12:12PM
I have 2 x Vogels or Burgen toasted with butter and Vegemite (Spot the Kiwi!) and a good strong espresso (Robert Harris)

In the weekends I have poached eggs on Vogels with a side of Balsamic mushrooms (the best! recipe below)

BALSAMIC,GARLIC AND THYME MUSHROOMS
June 25, 2016 12:01PM
On the mornings I go to the gym I have a banana, hot chocolate and homemade breakfast bars (rolled oats, nuts, dried fruit, eggs and milk with a little sugar). Other weekday mornings I have muesli or porridge with yoghurt and fruit and in the weekends I ring the changes - crumpets, muffins, French toast, eggs . . .
June 27, 2016 05:51AM
I have started making baked oatmeal, which is pretty much whole grain rolled oats, milk, eggs, diced apply, raisins with a little cinnamon and sugar, all mixed up, and then baked. I reheat a serve of it each morning, and serve with yoghurt and tinned fruit. It is a really nice alternative to porridge, and keeps in the fridge for a few days. Oh, I remembered the recipe says to put the apples in the bottom of the dish but I miss them though the oat mixture.

I use this recipe: Baked Oatmeal
June 28, 2016 12:27AM
Thank you for reminding me about the Amish-style Baked Oatmeal recipe, Sharon. I've had it for a few years and had forgotten all about it. It is delicious and I like it because I only need to cook breakfast once and it lasts for a further three days in the fridge. It's also very flexible and you can ring the changes by adding some chocolate chips, chopped crystalised ginger or any other fruit you have on hand. I cut down the brown sugar to 1/2 a cup in the mixture but then sprinkle some demerara sugar on top, which gives a lovely crunchy topping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.