Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bread/Toast savoury spreads

Posted by J1 
J1
Bread/Toast savoury spreads
June 25, 2016 06:49AM
Sugar has always been anathema to me in the mornings so my toast toppings are peanut butter and Vegemite/Marmite because marmalade, jams, jellies, honey, etc are all awfully sweet to me.

Lately, if I'm having bread at another time of the day (with soup, etc), I've been spreading my homemade beetroot relish on. Very nice.

If you prefer savoury, what spreads do you use on your bread/toast? I'm wondering what others I could try/am missing out on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 06:49AM by J1.
Re: Bread/Toast savoury spreads
June 25, 2016 08:52AM
Just having a chuckle as I'd never heard of 'anathema' before - just when I thought my code cracker addiction had introduced me to most words I had never heard of! You're never too old.......

Re savoury toast spreads - I'm not a great fan of bread and not for breakfast but I do enjoy toasted Vogels with tomato and avocado, sprinkled with a little lemon juice, ground black pepper and flaked sea salt for a summer brunch/lunch if I'm at home.

Re bread with soup - there is a limited edition Ploughmans loaf available at the moment - East Coast pumpkin with sunflower seeds.. Absolutely delicious toasted with lashings of butter.

Regards

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 09:14AM by Barbara Anne.
June 25, 2016 10:32AM
I really enjoy a spread made out of miso mixed with tahini to taste on toasted Vogels. It's a truly savoury taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 10:32AM by Chris.
June 25, 2016 12:17PM
Marmite or humus or avocado or cheese. My mum used to make potted meat and I loved that. It is ages since I have made it.
June 25, 2016 01:11PM
Scrape a garlic clove over toasted vogels, top with sliced tamarillo and cheese, grill. Used to be a favourite of mine before tamarillos became $17.99/kg. Stupid psyllid bugs.

Coriander pesto and feta. I'm loving that you can now buy 100g bags of coriander for $5.99 under "The Fresh Grower" brand. Those silly plastic clam shell packets with about 15g are $3.99. 100g is enough to actually make a decent amount of pesto and I'm happy to spend $6 for that when my garden is not producing.

Cheese and salami.

I too can't do sweet at breakfast, in fact I don't really like sweet at any meal time.
June 25, 2016 04:21PM
I've become addicted to pesto as a toast topping. I don't normally buy premade stuff but I make an exception for Genoese's basil pesto as it doesn't contain anything I wouldn't put in myself. I buy big fat 350g pots of it as we get through a lot, either by itself or with things like cream cheese or smoked salmon.
June 26, 2016 05:01AM
My guilty secret is very expensive butter that has big flakes of salt in it. While I am not a butter fan I could easily eat a whole pat of this on toast. Thank goodness for the price!
June 26, 2016 05:04AM
Oh Stephanie.. please share more about this glorious butter!
June 26, 2016 05:08AM
Maybe a little retro but I remember liking yeast flakes spread over my buttered toast.
J1
June 26, 2016 06:12AM
Interesting the amount of cheese......I do like a bit of blue cheese and a sprinkle of parmesan here and there etc, but any recipe that mentions a reasonable amount of cheese (e.g. lasagne) sort of repels me. Needless to say, I've only ever once made cheesecake....
I do like the idea of hummus - I must make some more of my own, and also the pesto by itself - pesto is SO tasty!

I was wondering if anyone ever spreads their toast with piccalilli or chow chow? I've never made my own but am thinking about it................
June 27, 2016 07:53AM
Have Pm'd you
June 27, 2016 01:56PM
I love a big chunky slice of tomato and salt and loads of cracked pepper
Another savoury style spread I make is frozen Spinach (thawed!) and ricotta mixed together with salt and pepper - Delicious!
June 27, 2016 11:23PM
On toast, butter sliced tomatos , plenty of salt and ground pepper, and a slither of tasty cheese.
I love cheese and beetroot sandwiches, and also (although haven't had for a while,) laughing cow cheese spread with pickled onions....yum! Another yum spread is the olive Telegraph Hill dukkah butter spread, had a jar but cannot locate in fridge, someone else must have taken a liking to it!
DK
July 06, 2016 06:36AM
I love mayonnaise spread on toast. Sometimes I squash a hardbolied egg on top of the mayonnaise when I'm too lazy to mash it up with some mayonnaise.

Years ago I would buy liverwurst and have that on toast regularly but the high fat and sodium content made me stop that.

I also like tomato sauce on toast. Or a piece of buttered toast with salt, pepper and garlic powder sprinkled over the top. Sliced fresh garlic is nice too but garlic powder is quicker and easier first thing in the morning.

I made a huge batch of yeasted waffles on Monday and have had week of decadent breakfasts with them. I have a Belgian waffle-type waffle iron that has really deep depressions so they hold a lot of toppings. One day I had scrambled eggs with fresh parsley and drizzled with truffle oil. Another day I had duck liver parfait spread on top (making sure to get some parfait into each hole). This morning I had one topped with chopped tomato and preserved artichoke, over the top I drizzled some oil that was leftover from a tin of squid cooked in squid ink.
May I say that I don't normally eat like this but I've got this week off and was given a voucher for a gourmet food shop, hence the gorgeous ingredients.
July 06, 2016 07:22AM
Oh DK you are making my mouth water so much with your beautiful breakfasts! What a great idea for spending your gourmet food voucher. smiling smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
July 07, 2016 01:09AM
DK I especially like your idea of a bit of mayo and a squashed hardboiled egg on toast - thanks for that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.