Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Turmeric

Posted by marylew 
Turmeric
June 25, 2016 08:39AM
I have been impressed by the advertising for Turmeric.Unfortunately I don't use it in my cooking so I have taken a Turmeric complex tablet for the past year.Can anyone advise me on how to use it in my cooking or any other advice on a better Tablet or capsule.
Re: Turmeric
June 29, 2016 12:49AM
Marylew I have been seeing things pop up in my facebook feed re the benefits of turmeric.
I am wondering though whether the favourable amounts can be eaten or whether you would have to take them in a more concentrated form ie tablets.
I use tumeric fairly often in cooking and if you search our recipes using turmeric as a search term you will find recipes that use it.
A favourite of ours is Fish Amok and coincidentally I am making it for dinner tonight.
June 29, 2016 10:14AM
I just checked out that fish recipe. Can you tell me if its feasible to leave out the sugar - its not a lot anyway, but just curious about what the impact would be.
June 29, 2016 12:05PM
Plates usually you need the sugar to balance the recipe, but you could try adding say half the amount and see how the flavours balance out and adjustvif need be. I haven't personally made this recipe.
June 30, 2016 12:12AM
Plates in most SE Asian recipes there is a balance of salt, sweet, sour and spice, to leave out the sweetness will impact the flavour but as Karen said you could try to reduce it and taste test.
June 30, 2016 03:32AM
Because of the health benefits of turmeric, I've started adding it even to recipes that don't have it. Anything that has cumin and coriander in it I've been throwing a teaspoon of turmeric in - it doesn't seem to have much flavour of its own, just colour.
July 21, 2016 06:50AM
Re the benefits of turmeric. There is a product available on line called Metabuz which has turmeric and other beneficial spices in it. A measure comes inside the bag which is the daily dose. I started taking it a few months ago and wondered what benefits there were!! however gradually I noticed that I was less tired with more energy, was eating less and generally felt better. I'm 74 so the drawbacks of "getting older" were starting to be felt but now I don't feel those quite so much. I'm used to the taste now and will be continuing with the product.
August 02, 2016 08:16AM
I have been adding half a teaspoon of turmeric powder to my morning porridge, along with cinnamon, and put a teaspoon in any dinner recipe that I think can take it. I am not sure how much is a recommended daily dosage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.