Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Truffled scrambled eggs

Posted by Heather F 
Truffled scrambled eggs
June 26, 2016 02:29AM
I lashed out and bought a Tasmanian truffle yesterday at the Central Market here in Adelaide ( not saying how much it was...) and about to make scrambled eggs with it, first time ever. Wish me luck lol!
Re: Truffled scrambled eggs
June 26, 2016 02:50AM
Best of luck! Report back please?
June 26, 2016 03:25AM
I have a little bottle of truffle oil, but hadn't thought of using it on scrambled eggs. In fact I haven't used it on anything - maybe someone can suggest how to use it as I have no idea how much and what on as not to drown it's flavour! I guess it could be sprinkled over salads?

Thanks for the idea Heather and I do envy you with an actual truffle.
Regards,
Dawn.
June 26, 2016 04:29AM
Dawn, truffle oil is usually artificially flavoured and very strong, so use cautiously. I like a few drops on beef, carpaccio in particular but also steak cooked medium rare. You could also add it drop by drop to some home made mayonnaise, to serve with hard boiled eggs or a root vegetable salad. For some reason truffle oil goes well with pumpkin too..
June 27, 2016 06:34AM
The scrambled eggs with truffle were just delish! So glad I splashed out and tried it.
I had beautifully fresh free range eggs, added a couple of spoonfuls of cream, and some milk, and put in about 1/2 a tsp of truffle to the beaten egg mixture, using a microplane grater, and then we 'truffled' over the top once they were cooked and on some organic chia & quinoa sourdough toast, to suit our own taste.
A lovely rich, earthy taste - not exactly like anything else, so a bit hard to describe. It was a 10 gram truffle, and we used about a third, so the rest of it is sitting in a container of raw rice, to infuse it with flavour as well.

Re truffle oil Dawn - I've had that for a while, and as TPANDAV said, it is quite strong. I've used it on scrambled eggs after they're cooked, and a few drops is all I need - it gives a lovely flavour.
I recently had cauliflower and roasted garlic soup with truffle oil croutons at a cafe - sensational!
June 27, 2016 09:23AM
Sounds beautiful Heather! Thanks for your information TPANDAV and Heather. I will try it on steak and also scrambled eggs.

Do you know whether you could add it to mushrooms? I often cook Portobello mushrooms in the frying pan or grill with a little bit of olive oil/spray. If so, when would I add the truffle oil - before or after they are cooked?
Regards,
Dawn.
June 27, 2016 11:34AM
Dawn I guess I use truffle oil as a flavour additive (can't think of the right term) and adding it to portobello (they're called Swiss browns over here) mushrooms after they're cooked would be yum. Pls be very sparing - literally say 3 - 5 drops, and then taste and see. Would love to hear what you think, after you've tried it.
I'd love to go to a truffle region in France when they're in season and try a whole lot of different dishes.
When I was looking at truffle recipes, and reading about the merits of various Aussie grown ones, I was very surprised to read that Manjimup, nearly down at the bottom of Western Australia, is the 2nd largest producer (of black truffles) after France!

[www.abc.net.au]
June 29, 2016 08:53AM
Heather if you store truffles with a container of eggs you will also get truffled eggs.
While I have used it to infuse things I think it is at its best when shaved into the actual recipe or on the top after cooking.
Truffled mash potato is amazing as it truffled brie...
June 29, 2016 09:41AM
Heather thank you, I will give the truffle oil a go on Portobello's, also thinking of omelette which we have sometimes on a Sunday night or a lazy night. Funny how the bottle sits on the shelf and I'm half frightened of using it!! As far as I know we have only one truffle farm in NZ, north of Christchurch I think. How I would love to live on that farm ha!

Hopefully your wish will come true and you will travel to a truffle region in France and be in truffle heaven.
Regards,
Dawn.
June 30, 2016 06:17AM
Thanks Dawn - one day...
And Helen - truffled mashed potato - what a yum idea! I have had the truffled soft cheese - bought a wedge at a posh cheese shop a few years ago, so so delicious! (called Coulommiers Truffe).
DK
July 07, 2016 04:42AM
Truffle oil sprinkled on hot chips, or any kind of potato dish, is magic. Basically I really can't think of any savoury food truffle oil wouldn't go with!
July 07, 2016 04:48AM
Did you see MKR last night, where they did a porcini and caramel dessert....wonder if you could do the same with truffle? I've not ever tried truffle, I did once order some truffled chips, but I'm pretty sure the order went wrong and I just got ordinary chips (well they were thrice cooked I think but not truffled).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.