Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Gestational Diabetes

Posted by IngridO 
Gestational Diabetes
June 29, 2016 12:04PM
A friend has recently been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes.

I am currently organising her baby shower, and I wondered if anyone could think of Afternoon Tea food ideas with this in mind?
Re: Gestational Diabetes
June 30, 2016 12:16AM
I would avoid refined carbs and fruit juice, the former being quite tricky when organising afternoon tea I guess.
Maybe look at some of the Whole Food style treats such as our Chocolate Coconut Bars,
Many of the raw type treats focus on coconut, nuts and dates with reduced sugar.
J1
June 30, 2016 01:45AM
Mini fritters.

Little savoury tarts, e.g.
[www.bakingmakesthingsbetter.com]
[www.kidspot.co.nz]

Toasted/oven baked wholegrain bread “fingers” with hummus.

Olives, e.g. Sandhurst Sicilian Green Olives [www.harrisfarm.com.au]

Deviled eggs.

Egg Muffins [planningwithkids.com]

Chicken nibbles, or wings, or marinated chicken drumsticks served cold (with a serviette and knife for those people who prefer to cut bits off to eat rather than biting directly into the drumstick), e.g.:

Marinated chicken drumsticks
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbspn tomato sauce
3 tbspns soy sauce
2 tspns grated root ginger
2 tbspns honey
12 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
½ tspn five spice powder (optional)

Combine all and brush chicken with it. Leave to marinate 1 hour. Place in roasting pan and cook at 200°C for 40 minutes (turning once – 20 minutes each side) or until crisp and golden. Serve hot or cold.

Spicy Chicken Drumsticks (Mexican)
8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
1 dstspn olive oil
1 dstspn each of grd cumin, grd coriander & dried oregano
1 tspn each of chilli powder, salt & paprika

Mix spices together. Put chicken in a bowl. Pour the olive oil over. Add spice mix and stir to coat. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Place on a sided oven tray and fanbake at 180°C for 20 minutes, turn and cook for another 15 minutes.
June 30, 2016 02:47AM
Afternoon tea doesn't have to be all about cream cakes and carbs/sugar.

I suggest vegetable sticks and maybe some hummus or something like tzazki or a tomato based dip.
Maybe some rice crackers with various toppings such as red pepper relish (that can also be nice as a dip) to be added just before eating. If your friend is allowed eggs, some mashed up hardboiled eggs with chives.
A bowl of various nuts or chickpeas, maybe roasted.
Thumbs up for the olives, also.
If allowed cheese, small cubes of a cheddar type. Provide toothpicks.

The main thing is to concentrate on the foods either low or without carbs and sugar. It's not a whole lot different to a diabetes diet except that you are looking after Mother and baby/babies instead of one person.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.