Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Chickpea Flour Pancakes

Posted by J1 
J1
Chickpea Flour Pancakes
July 08, 2016 04:37AM
Has anyone got any accompaniment ideas for chickpea pancakes? I feel the flavour of them doesn't lend itself to sweet-style pancakes very well. Have you found something sweet that does go well?

What about savoury? I'm struggling to think of delicious savoury things that would go with their flavour. I like the sound of this and will make it some time in the next week [cooking.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2016 04:38AM by J1.
Re: Chickpea Flour Pancakes
July 08, 2016 08:16AM
Can you please post how it turns out. Am keen to try out. I think hummus, pesto or any soft cheese would go good with this. I will add some cooked spinach to this as well.
J1
July 10, 2016 04:17AM
Hi Plates, I made it today but won't make it again. I used a pizza pan and cooked it for 12 minutes - it didn't need the grill at the end as it had browned enough in the oven already. I didn't like it very much because a) it had a soggy bottom, b) it was too oily for my tastes and c) I didn't enjoy the flavours very much.
July 10, 2016 04:33AM
I made this and served it with drinks one time. It was hoovered down by my friends, but I haven't made it again because I didn't like it at all, for much the same reasons as you.
DK
July 10, 2016 10:16AM
I love socca and make it all the time because it's so quick and easy and tasty and cheap. I've never had a soggy bottom because the recipe I use starts on the stovetop and finishes under the grill. I also don't put onion in it. It's definitely a savoury pancake not a sweet one. Anything that can go on a pizza or pasta can go with this. Think simple Mediterranean flavours.

You can top it like a pizza and cut it into squares if you want finger food or have it with something substantial like a meaty ragu, or sauteed mushrooms or wilted spinach cooked with garlic, olive oil, chopped nuts and a few sultanas and eat it with a knife and fork. Usually I put herbs in the batter and just top it with parmesan and olive oil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2016 10:17AM by DK.
J1
July 10, 2016 11:13PM
That's good DK. I agree, it was the method of the recipe that particularly failed it. All the other chickpea flour ones I've made have been pan cooked on the stovetop so no problems with soggy bottom. The recipe's olive oil, which makes it too oily, could just be left out. Your accompaniments sound ideal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.