Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Tamarillos

Posted by IngridO 
Tamarillos
August 02, 2016 03:19AM
I just bought a beautiful plump bag of juicy tamarillos - They really are a beautiful looking fruit.

I haven't had them for ages - in fact my children were like "What are these?"

Normally I would just dip them in white sugar (like the good old days! when sugar was encouraged ...thumbs down

Does anyone eat them or cook them in other ways?
Re: Tamarillos
August 02, 2016 06:59AM
I had a grapefruit for breakfast with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar on it - felt like a criminal.....drinking smiley

I have added them to casseroles as I would a tomato, and I have made a crumble with them too with apple. They are delicious but astringent.
August 02, 2016 08:59AM
I got these recently too, and my urchins didn't know what they were either. we just cut them in half (like kiwifruit/feijoa) and scooped out the centre and ate it, no sugar required.
August 02, 2016 10:01AM
I have made a striking looking fruit salad with peeled and sliced tamarillos, stoned and halved dates and peeled and sliced oranges. About equal quantities works well, It is very intensely flavoured and good with a big spoonful of Greek yoghurt or mascarpone or créme fraîche.
August 02, 2016 12:09PM
You can make a lovely marmalade with tamarillos and oranges. They are also lovely poached whole (skin them first by covering with boiling water for 20 or so seconds) and then served with coconut cream.
August 02, 2016 01:57PM
On the odd occasion I see them here at the Central Market in Adelaide IngridO, I'll treat myself to one - they're usually about $3 each, and I cut it in half, sprinkle sugar on top and scoop the insides out with a teaspoon and not a single guilty feeling!
August 02, 2016 10:49PM
Heather unless you live out of the city areas they have become hugely expensive here too, mainly due to an insect or virus(can't remember which) that makes growing the trees much more difficult.
August 02, 2016 10:49PM
I am with Heather on having the occasional one, a little sugar, too. winking smiley. Mostly I just cook them for my husband, who loves them.
I wish I could eat more but they do affect my mouth.
In the past I have added them to casseroles and stews.

To add to Stephanie D's comment, the last time I saw them at New World they were around $17 a kilo. If we get to the Farmers market early enough we can often pick up a bag far more cheaply, although he sells out very quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2016 10:51PM by Marnie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.