Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Best Nurturing Meal

Posted by helen 
Best Nurturing Meal
August 17, 2016 01:56AM
I am taking a meal tonight to a bereaved family. The kids are late teen to early 20's and their mum is 50 ish.
The mum is also feeling lousy with a chest infection.
I am trying to decide what to make as obviously it needs to be transportable and reheated but I want it to be caring and thoughtful.

Currently thoughts are either smoked fish pie (foodlovers one with fresh smoked fish, kumara topping etc...) or chicken and leek pie.
Any suggestions from you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 02:41AM by helen.
Re: Best Nurturing Meal
August 17, 2016 02:25AM
I guess you mean a chest infection.....!

I would tend toward the chicken and leek pie as some people just don't like fish. A simple beef casserole would also be nice.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
August 17, 2016 02:41AM
Oh me oh my that made me laugh - and shudder!
Yes a chest infection is what she has and yes I think you are probably right re fish.
For those that are wondering, I initially posted "cheese" as opposed to chest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 02:42AM by helen.
August 17, 2016 02:59AM
I must admit I was trying to figure out what on earth a cheese infection was, and envisaged all sorts! the finger smiley
August 17, 2016 05:04AM
I also think chicken & leek, good & hearty. You can also add vegies into it to make it easy all up. (No pots for vegies etc. ) you could put mashed potatoes on top instead of pastry. I made one last night with leeks from our garden, really nice.
August 17, 2016 05:35AM
Excellent, the chicken is simmering, the leeks are sweating with carrots and celery as well.
The chocolate caramel weetbix slice is in the oven.
There is something quite pleasing about cooking at this time of day before the after school madness begins. smiling smiley
August 17, 2016 08:13AM
I'm finding that things with mash are most comforting for the two I'm cooking for at the moment, it reheats well and there is just something comforting about it. I'd also avoid the fish, because not everyone likes it, I don't think it reheats well, and it'll make the fridge a bit smelly if it is in there for a day or so (thinking that at this time they may have lots of people bringing them food, or they just may not be up to eating for a day or so).
August 17, 2016 01:13PM
I have to ask you Helen, where do you find the time for all your travel, work and loveliness helping other people...I'm in awe smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 01:13PM by IngridO.
August 22, 2016 01:15AM
I find time because I let other things go and that isn't necessarily a good thing.
My house is almost never tidy and if it wasn't for our woofer the garden would be a complete mess!
August 22, 2016 06:21AM
I think you have your priorities in the right order, Helen.
August 22, 2016 09:15AM
I think you have your priorities right too Helen. How could you ever keep yourself in the right mind if you didn't let other things go? winking smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
August 23, 2016 04:19AM
Helen, each time I've visited I've found your house homely, warm and welcoming. It's not necessary, or even desirable in my opinion, to have a home where everything is put away out of sight. But then I'm biased, I'm like you; I can find better things to do than housework!
August 24, 2016 03:39AM
Anything is better than housework!
August 28, 2016 05:29PM
I would tend toward the chicken and leek pie as some people just don't like fish. A simple beef casserole would also be nice. hat hanh nhan
August 30, 2016 03:00AM
Lasagna loaded with vegetables and a delicious cheesy sauce.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.