Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Veges, FR eggs and Asian food supplies in Hamilton

Posted by TPANDAV 
Veges, FR eggs and Asian food supplies in Hamilton
August 26, 2016 03:27AM
We've recently moved to the Waikato and I'm trying to get a handle on where to buy food. Meat is easy, but I'm having trouble finding decent produce. We will be in Hamilton next week for a day and I wonder if anyone can recommend a retailer of fruit and veges, also free range eggs and Asian food ingredients.

We've tried Roto-rangi FR eggs and I was not impressed at all.
Re: Veges, FR eggs and Asian food supplies in Hamilton
August 26, 2016 03:38AM
Not sure exactly where you, TPANDAV are but is there a farmers' market held in the vicinity? Waikato markets are held at Cambridge on Saturday mornings and Hamilton on Sunday mornings.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2016 03:39AM by Barbara Anne.
August 26, 2016 04:22AM
We're in Matamata. I liked the little farmers ' market in Cambridge last weekend but there wasn't a wide range of veges. Soggy Bottom meats are pretty good though!
August 26, 2016 10:27PM
There is an I*dian spice shop (and Bollywood Movies) in the Clyde Street shopping centre in Hamilton East.
There's the Thai Shop on the corner of Grey Street and Te Aroha Street in Claudelands (Near the bridge to the city and the Showgrounds).
In the city centre, there's the New Save Asian Supermarket in Tristram Street
And I believe there are at least 2 Asian food shops in Frankton, but I don't usually go over that way when I go to Hamilton. There are probably others, too, but a search on Google will help because then you can get a map reference too, showing exactly where they are.
August 26, 2016 10:41PM
Thanks Lorna, that's very helpful.
August 27, 2016 12:03AM
As Lorna mentioned above, I also frequent the Thai shop and New Save, which is produce, meat and groceries. However in Hamilton East for I**ian supplies - I have never been into that spice shop. But actually within the same shopping complex is an I**dian dairy - just a few doors down from Bin Inn - and I actually go there as they have a lot of the Mama Mia range of European foods which I buy, but are predominantly I**dian stock.

In Frankton Village there is Moshims (an I**dian version of Bin Inn, I guess you would call it)
August 28, 2016 05:27PM
I wonder if anyone can recommend a retailer of fruit and veges, also free range eggs and Asian food ingredients. hat chia
August 30, 2016 03:11AM
I frequent the Thai Shop as it is near my house. For veges I go to Vege King on Heaphy Terrace, Fruit World at Five Cross Roads or the Fruit and Vege shop over the road from the Thai Shop. There is also a Wholly Cow Butcher in the same set of shops and a good dumpling shop!

Of the three I think Fruit World has the most consistent quality.
September 21, 2016 05:22AM
Thanks Cheeselover. We finally got to Fruit World at Five Crossroads and it was wonderful! Vege Heaven! Even better quality than Fruit World in Mt Roskill. And Five Cross Roads is where I walked to primary school many decades ago, so it was interesting to see how unrecognisable it was to me.
September 21, 2016 07:41AM
Pleased it worked out for you!
Yes that area is very multicultural and mixed. There are some interesting shops though (Moshims and I like the sushi).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.