Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Asparagus

Posted by Griz 
Asparagus
September 14, 2016 02:06AM
Is the season late this year, have yet to see any around and yet we were definitely eating it before the 9th of September last year, still to see any in the shops as yet. (I know because I paid an astronomical amount for 6 spears which I ate in secret a couple of days before my hubby's birthday last year).
Re: Asparagus
September 14, 2016 05:16AM
I haven't seen any on my travels - well not affordable ones anyhow!

The secrets out GRIZ - hope hubby isn't reading Foodlovers?
September 14, 2016 05:48AM
I saw the first few spears today. I did not check the price.
September 14, 2016 08:46AM
Haven't spotted any yet but I always wait for the very first 'special' before satisfying my craving.
September 14, 2016 08:57AM
You have more willpower than me, I always buy a few spears the first time I see it, it's one of the things I use to mark the passage of the year, it's up there with the first locally grown strawberries...it's not even the flavour it's just the symbolism of the start of spring I guess. Hopefully I'll see some around this week then!
September 15, 2016 11:22PM
Maybe the fact that we've had weeks of wet weather has something to do with the lateness of the asparagus.
September 16, 2016 03:03AM
That depends on where you live, where I am we've had a mild winter with below average rain fall. Which could also be the reason. Still none around in the Wairarapa, despite daily searches!
September 16, 2016 10:50AM
I've already had a meal of them from my garden. Not a lot but enough for one.
September 16, 2016 10:58AM
I'm jealous Kone, I don't have room anywhere in my garden for asparagus. I imagine it's amazing fresh from the garden!
September 21, 2016 09:23AM
Yay, asparagus for dinner here tonight!
September 21, 2016 10:32PM
On 'Special' this week at Countdown. 2 bunches $6
September 22, 2016 12:47AM
I once house-sat for someone who had an asparagus bed, so I had all the delight and none of the work. Snipping my spears every evening was pure joy and they were incredible.
September 22, 2016 11:52AM
Wow Lorna that truly is a bargain for this time of year. Our greengrocer has it for $7 a bunch but none in my local NW yet.
September 22, 2016 12:43PM
I paid $5/bunch at my greengrocer yesterday, but today paid $3.95/bunch at Moore Wilsons. From the tape on the bunches I'd say they came from the same supplier!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.