Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

New Edition of the Edmonds Cookery Book

Posted by IngridO 
New Edition of the Edmonds Cookery Book
September 18, 2016 11:30AM
Apparently their is a new edition to the Edmonds Cookery Book. I can't imagine what could be different?

Anyone had a flick through it?
Re: New Edition of the Edmonds Cookery Book
September 18, 2016 11:48AM
Yes I've read that there is a new Edmonds cookery book coming up - I think it's a modernised version - either new (modern) recipes have been added or current recipes have been modernised. I haven't seen it, only vaguely remember reading about it. Good idea I reckon.
Regards,
Dawn.
September 18, 2016 12:10PM
I am the same as Dawn. This must be the review I saw.

[www.radionz.co.nz]!
J1
September 18, 2016 11:39PM
It's interesting they're putting Elsie's Fingers back in. My father always particularly enjoyed them so I have the recipe in my own recipe folder and used to make them for him. We didn't add the walnuts though. [www.radionz.co.nz]
September 18, 2016 11:57PM
J1, Elsie's Fingers were a favourite in our house, I still make them occasionally and usually without the walnuts.
Bev
September 19, 2016 01:02AM
I listened to the interview with Alexa Johnston on Radio NZ last week about the revamp of the Edmonds cookbook. I look forward to seeing the updated version. I think the book is released this week.
September 19, 2016 01:38AM
In my opinion the Edmonds Cookbook had long outlived its usefulness; the baking recipes were too sketchy for inexperienced cooks and too dull and pedestrian for experienced cooks. The non-baking recipes were awful by and large, heavily influenced by the need to promote convenience foods and oblivious to the broader horizons that home cooks enjoy these days, when the internet provides culinary information and context for everyone who is interested. I understand that in the new edition the non-baking sections have been much reduced and the instructions for baking have been expanded.

Alexa personally tests every recipe she puts her name to, she has a wonderful understanding of and empathy towards NZ history and traditions, and if anyone can make the Edmonds Cookbook relevant again it is her. I am very much looking forward to seeing the new edition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 01:39AM by TPANDAV.
September 19, 2016 03:16AM
You make good points there TPANDAV and I find it interesting not only to think how so much has changed over the years, but to think back as to how useful that book must have been for people in the early days and years to follow. I know, I have some favourites from it.

BTW does anyone remember back 9 years ago when one of our Foodlover's subscribers, Debbie, decided to take a year to cook the whole of the Edmonds Cookery Book - she started in December 2007 and made a blog "Debbie Does Edmonds" as she cooked through the Edmonds Book? I loved reading her blogs and was lucky enough to be the recipient of her Edmonds Simnel Cake. Not sure if Debbie is still on Foodlovers or not.

Here's a link to her blog [debbiedoesedmonds.blogspot.co.nz]
Regards,
Dawn.
September 23, 2016 08:45AM
I am interviewing Alexa on Radio Liive tomorrow morning at 7.20 re the new Edmond's cookbook.

Debbie is a busy mum with 2 young children and she is also working in marketing for a food company.
I keep in touch with her from time to time.
I had forgotten about her Edmond's cooking stint. Very brave.
September 25, 2016 09:35AM
Helen, re Debbie, thanks for that. Her blog ended and I wondered what she's doing now..........2 children........working.......she will be a very busy person. Yes, her Edmonds cooking stint was extremely brave, and for me, her writings provided thoroughly enjoyable reading! Thank you Debbie.
Regards,
Dawn.
September 27, 2016 07:43AM
I have contacted the publicist and have 5 copies of the new book to give away.
It will be loaded onto our win pages tonight (I hope).
If not then it will be there tomorrow.
October 01, 2016 05:05AM
Ha Ha
Ingrid and I did a blog post quite sometime ago recreating a couple of the Edmonds recipes.
[gz34food0p799jb.wwwssr14.supercp.com]
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.