Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Which Onion?

Posted by marylew 
Which Onion?
October 10, 2016 09:01AM
If you use onion in a toasted sandwich do you use Red or Brown onion?I am sure that the last time I made toasted sandwiches I used red onion sliced and they didn't seem to soften and weren't as nice as using brown onion.Can this be the case that red onion doesn't suit being cooked this way.I want to make the rolled up versions for this weekend and am sure they would fare better with ordinary brown onion.Can any member share which they would use?Thanks
Re: Which Onion?
October 10, 2016 10:50AM
white is much more pungent and red is sweeter but neither cook really well for the short time they are in a toasted sandwich machine there for red is my preference. And they are delicious in a fresh cheese and (red) onion sandwich.
October 10, 2016 11:04AM
Yes, I use red onion as well , but, very thinly sliced and I have no problem. I really love red onions and would use them over brown onions for toasted sandwiches, salads etc. Brown onions I prefer to use in thicker slices in meat dishes, or casseroles, sauces etc.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2016 11:04AM by Dawn.
October 10, 2016 10:11PM
I use both , but prefer brown onions, just slice very finely. You could soften slightly on the plate if you machine has flat plates.
October 11, 2016 09:12PM
Thanks everyone I now have a better understanding.I don't use a lot of onion as my late husband didn't like them.
October 13, 2016 02:49AM
I would use brown onion but I would cook them first before adding to the sandwich as I can't stand the after taste of raw onion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.