Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

To Peel or Not to Peel...Vegetables

Posted by J1 
J1
To Peel or Not to Peel...Vegetables
October 24, 2016 03:50AM
Vanessa45's thread about peelers had me thinking how years ago I used to peel pretty much everything (standard learned response from mother and society) but nowadays peel pretty much nothing - just a scrub instead. I peel potatoes if I'm doing mash. I peel onions and prefer to peel garlic.

What do others do and think?
Re: To Peel or Not to Peel...Vegetables
October 24, 2016 03:55AM
I rarely peel home grown veges (apart from onions and garlic), but when I have to buy veges I tend to peel as I think pesticides and other sprays might accumulate in the skin.
October 24, 2016 09:11AM
I used to have kind of a blanket approach and not peeling anything except for onions and garlic etc, but now I consider how it will be cooked, or if eating raw, whether its organic, and if not how thick the skin is etc, and make a decision on that basis.
October 24, 2016 12:04PM
I rarely peel any veggies. Carrots occasionally, if the skin looks thick, and I slip the skins off cooked beetroot, onions and garlic of course. I don't peel potatoes for mash - I just give them a very good scrub and cut out any icky bits.
October 24, 2016 09:26PM
I'm still a peeler, unless it's baked or microwaved whole potato or kumera, pumpkin doesn't get peeled unless mashed. Carrots, parsnips, also get a peeling from me. I think it's imbedded in my brain to do just as my Mother did! Dad grew all our vegetables and there was a good healthy imput of cow patties added to the soil, hence my mother would never have not peeled veges!
Regards,
Dawn.
October 25, 2016 12:17AM
Im with you J1, I dont peel much mainly out of laziness and also figure there is nutrition in the skin (hopefully)
I never peel pumpkin/squash or cucumber ( I eat the seeds too) and only occasionally peel carrots.
Onions and potatoes would be the only things that get peeled.

I used to date someone who peeled mushrooms - the madness! He also didn't like Parmesan cheese - clearly not a relationship that was ever going to work.

Vanessa
October 25, 2016 01:42AM
I peel broccoli winking smiley
October 25, 2016 02:11AM
so do you peel Cauliflower Jenna??? The old m-in-law used to peel mushrooms. I could never understand that one!!
October 25, 2016 02:42AM
Not anymore, Irene - I used to though. It's one of those things I do because my mother always did it. Now, when I eat broccoli that hasn't been peeled I notice the skin and don't particularly like it. That doesn't stop me from eating unpeeled broccoli though.

About the only other things that get peeled are potatoes (depending on what I'm doing with them) and beetroot.
October 25, 2016 08:40PM
I'm a bit the same as you J1, I peel nothing these days - its more due to being time-poor or laziness. I also figure the skins are good for you. I do have children that only eat the insides of pumpkin and potato so they self peel!
November 11, 2016 01:55AM
How do you peel a broccoli or cauli? Do you mean the stalk?
I didnt even really notice that it had a skin ;-)
Vanessa
November 15, 2016 09:25AM
I basically use "not to peel" as major food contains nutrients in it.

Asad Zaman
[feedbelly.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.