Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Tiramisu

Posted by marylew 
Tiramisu
November 13, 2016 07:12AM
Does anyone have an easy Tiramisu cake recipe that I could make for christmas day.I have said easy because I have never made one.With a Tiramisu cake or slice does it have to be eaten on the day that you make it,or is it as good the next day?I don't want to be making one on christmas morning.Thanks.
Re: Tiramisu
November 13, 2016 10:17AM
Tiramisu is easy to make and is best made ahead.
You buy the sponge fingers (savoidari biscuits is another name they are known by).
Then you dip them in coffee mixed with marsala and layer into serving dish with cream and marscapone slightly sweetened with sugar and top with grated chocolate.
Think coffee flavoured trifle really. There are many variations, just google Tiramisu recipes and pick what you think looks good, it really is one of those recipes that is hard to go wrong with.
November 13, 2016 02:45PM
Hi Marylew, I love Tiramisu but having been disappointed by restaurant ones, I really only like my own these days.
Out of curiosity I looked on taste.com.au and was surprised to see 4 pages of versions - from one where you made your own sponge finger biscuits, to versions that used ricotta; or used gelatine to set it, and even berry or mango flavours. It's been a while since I last made one, but I think the savoiardi biscuit packet might have a recipe on it, so that may make choosing a recipe easier. I make one my sis gave me years ago, and it uses cream cheese and not mascarpone like most recipes.
I've found too, that different brands of marsala give different flavours.
I assemble it in a trifle bowl, but I saw several pics where it had been made in a loaf tin, and that might slice and serve more neatly for Christmas Day.
And as Griz said, it really does need to be made the day before, to allow the flavour to develop.
November 13, 2016 03:54PM
I'd avoid anything made with the ricotta we can buy in this country though, and think gelatine would make it the wrong texture too.
November 14, 2016 12:12AM
Marylew here is a recipe from an Italian cooking class I attended (the teacher was Italian). However I substitute the Sponge cake with Savioardi (lady finger) biscuits.

sm sponge cake
125 g Mascarpone cheese
1 egg
30 g castor sugar
1 c long black coffee
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
pinch salt

Cake: In a bowl beat the egg yolk with the sugar and vanilla until the mixture is pale yellow and fluffy. Gradually beat in mascarpone. Using an electric beater, beat the egg white with a pinch of salt until stuff. Fold the egg white into the mascarpone mixture. Cut the sponge in slices 1cm thick. Line one serving diish with sponge slices. Sprinkle the coffee over the cake, It should be moist but not saturated. Cover with 1cm layer of mascarpone mixture. Repeat alternating layers of sponge and mascarpone. Ending with mascarpone. Dust with cocoa power and put into the fridge to set and chill.
November 14, 2016 12:23AM
My favourite recipe is similar to Irene's and is from Claudia Roden. I make it with a gluten-free almond cake and that works well.

Tiramisu

serves 6 - 8

4 tab rum (or to taste)
100 ml strong coffee
2 tab brandy
16 - 20 sponge fingers (or almond cake - below)
400g mascarpone
2 eggs, separated
4 tab icing sugar
100g bitter chocolate, grated

Mix 2 tab rum with coffee and brandy. Dip sponge fingers in and lay in shallow dish. Pour over enough remaining liquid to moisten but not flood.

Beat mascarpone with egg yolks, icing sugar and remaining rum, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks and fold in. Spoon over sponge fingers. Sprinkle with chocolate and refrigerate overnight.

Keeps 3 days.

Almond Cake

175g finely ground almonds
2 eggs
85g caster sugar
pinch of salt

Heat oven to 190C. Line small tin - about 18 cm.

Shake almonds in a sieve to remove all lumps. Whisk eggs until frothy, whisk in sugar and beat until very pale and stiff. Fold in almonds, pour into tin.

Bake 30 - 35 min until well browned and firm. Leave in tin 5 min then turn out.
November 14, 2016 01:10AM
I make and like the tiramisu recipe here on foodlovers.
Tiramisu

And for something completely different I have sometimes swapped out the coffee and made a berry tiramisu.
November 14, 2016 03:29AM
Wow thank you everyone, reading the recipes and tips I surely can do this.One further question I have is I only have instant coffee granules in my kitchen.Will these do or should I buy another type of coffee and how do I mix it to get a strong flavour?How much coffee to water? Thanks .
November 14, 2016 03:47AM
It really is very easy, Marylew, and better if made in advance smiling smiley I only use instant coffee and it's just fine. It's one of many flavours so doesn't have to be anything fancy (IMO). Personally, to 100ml of water I'd probably use 1.5t of instant granules.
November 14, 2016 06:15AM
Thanks Jenna,very good.
November 14, 2016 10:35AM
If you use instant coffee just try to make it nice and strong. Or just go to a cafe and ask for some shots of espresso coffee to takeaway, doesn't matter if it goes cold!
November 14, 2016 07:51PM
That's a good idea Griz,after all it is a coffee dessert that I should get right the first time.Thank you.
November 14, 2016 09:27PM
Tiramisu without Tia Maria?? Noooooooooooooooooooo!
November 15, 2016 01:24AM
Lorna I have never used Tia Maria in tiramisu.. cool smiley
November 15, 2016 02:20AM
It's traditional to use marsala I think.
November 15, 2016 04:03AM
Griz I was interested so googled it and from what I read the original recipe didn't have alcohol but when added it was most commonly brandy although some use marsala.
This could be wrong though.

Felicity Cloake from the Guardian always has interesting points and this is her view on Tiramisu.
March 11, 2017 09:50PM
and here my tiramisu from second side of the planetsmiling smiley - I do it with amaretto

Ingredients:

200g of sponge biscuit
3 espressos
4 tablespoons of amaretto
400ml of 30% sweet cream
250g mascaropone cheese
1 tablespoon of caster sugar
2 tablespoons of dark cocoa

the whole receipe here

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
[www.home-madepatchwork.com]
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 10:00PM by Flora205.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0946b.jpg (372.9 KB)
March 11, 2017 11:52PM
Thank you Flora205 that looks delicious.
March 12, 2017 10:18PM
Looks delicious, Flora205, but please tell me what are Espressos? Are they coffee capsules? I haven't got a coffee machine so don't buy the capsules. Can you recommend an alternative; is each capsule equal to one teaspoonful of instant coffee, or maybe freez e-dried coffee?
March 13, 2017 01:44AM
Flora, that looks so delicious and when I am back home again I will make it. Looking forward to your reply to Lorna's question. I've been on the look-out for a recipe without raw egg.
March 13, 2017 02:56AM
Lorna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks delicious, Flora205, but please tell me what
> are Espressos? Are they coffee capsules? I
> haven't got a coffee machine so don't buy the
> capsules. Can you recommend an alternative; is
> each capsule equal to one teaspoonful of instant
> coffee, or maybe freez e-dried coffee?

Lorna, I assume an espresso is the same in Flora's country as it is in NZ, a short black coffee made in an espresso machine.

I wouldn't advise using instant coffee instead - the coffe flavour is prety important in a Tiramisu and you need real coffee.

Do you have a cafe in your area that makes good espresso? You could buy three shots to take away and use them in the recipe.
March 13, 2017 04:03AM
Yes that's just what I would do, go to a coffee shop and ask for three shots of espresso to take away.
March 13, 2017 10:41PM
Dear Lorna,

these are not capsules - these are 3 times 25-30 ml real espresso coffee portions smiling smiley

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
March 13, 2017 10:42PM
Dear TPANDAV

this is exactly what I meant

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 10:49PM by Flora205.
March 13, 2017 10:45PM
Dear Chris

So I am happy you have found itsmiling smiley

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 10:47PM by Flora205.
March 14, 2017 10:13PM
Thank you everyone, especially Flora, for clarifying the 3 espressos.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.