Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Frozen food section

Posted by Vanessa45 
Frozen food section
January 16, 2017 09:21PM
Thinking about a recent post from Ingrid, got me thinking - what do you buy in the frozen section?
I think its a real big seller for supermarkets too.

Its my least frequented section, I would rather buy fresh and freeze myself, also Im not often going straight home so hate the thought of things potentially defrosting.

Frozen things I buy...

Dumplings
Peas
Edamame beans
Spinach
Hashbrowns (kids)
Fish fingers (Kids)
Butter chicken premade in purple box (kids)
Re: Frozen food section
January 16, 2017 09:33PM
Peas,
Icecream (in the holidays when G/children here),
flakey pastry,
prawns (only occasionally),
frozen chicken.

Regards,
Dawn.
January 16, 2017 09:41PM
Peas
Spinach
Stir Fry Veg
Prawns
Dumplings
Pastry Sheets

and total crap, but we love them and have them every couple of months as a dinner .....drum roll please............

Southern Style Chicken Sticks
January 16, 2017 10:35PM
frozen blueberries in winter
edamame occasionally
ice cream once in a while
January 17, 2017 02:32AM
Frozen berries, when out of season
Peas
Beans, when out of season
Wedges
Pastry sheets...they make a better job than I do with butter puff and flakey
Chicken and occasionally I will buy a duck
Marcel's blinis if I am catering for something special
Ice cream
Steam type vegetables, those packs are ideal for 2 of us
Baby carrots, I don't think the quality of a lot of the fresh ones are as good as they used to be.
Waffles, occasionally.

ps I've never tasted the Southern Style Chicken Sticks. Occasionally we're all allowed to treat ourselves with something we like. (Happy Cook, Happy Familysmiling bouncing smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 04:13AM by Marnie.
January 17, 2017 03:47AM
Frozen berries out of season, occasionally Kapiti vanilla ice cream.
January 17, 2017 04:40AM
Interesting question! I don't buy much frozen - puff pastry; peas/beans, and berries when they're on special and not in season.

Edited to add: the main reason I don't buy much frozen stuff is mainly where it's from. I am , or have turned into a Grumpy Old Lady (GOL) when I pick up a pack of something and see it's from Holland or Timbuctoo - really annoys me lol!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2017 04:16AM by Heather F.
January 17, 2017 05:17AM
The only thing I buy with any regularity is ice cream. It is one of the few treat items my husband likes. None of us are huge berry fans, I can live without peas, I don't buy frozen meat and we eat fresh veges.
January 17, 2017 10:04AM
Peas, whole chicken, occasionally corn, fish fillets, very occasionally chips/wedges, shrimps
January 18, 2017 12:53AM
I always have a supply of various frozen veges for those times near the end of the 'shopping week' that I am running out of fresh, or to supplement fresh veges with those of a different colour and texture. Frozen veges are every bit as nutritious as fresh veg, if not more so because of the speed they are packed after being picked.

Ice cream is a summer regular, not so much in winter! I also like frozen berries for my smoothies in summer. I might buy a small frozen chicken to keep in the freezer for when I feel like a home-cooked rotisserie chicken and I do enjoy McCain hash browns with an egg and some veges for a quick meal on days when I might have been busy or arriving home late and don't feel much like cooking. Oh, and for a special treat when the grandies come, I might buy a pack or two of those frozen chocolate eclairs - everyone loves them!
January 18, 2017 08:29AM
I buy a few frozen things, all yhings i can generally add to fresh ingredients to make a quick dinner..
Peas
Corn
Spinach
Beans
Dumplings
Mash potatoes
Danny's falafels
Puff pastry
Endemane beans
Lemon grass
The birds eye steam pouch rice/quinoa dishes ( great for lunches)
January 18, 2017 09:21AM
I'm interested in the dumplings. Several people have mentioned them and I'm interested in what you do with them and what you serve them with. I am presuming they are the Chinese dumpling types? I've never made them, only eaten steamed dumplings once and it probably wasn't at a proper ethnic place and they were 'orrible'!! Have thought of making them, but put off because I have never seen dumpling wrappers in our supermarket. I don't blame anyone for buying frozen dumpings, and might like to try the frozen ones myself.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 09:21AM by Dawn.
January 18, 2017 09:28AM
good question here Dawn.This is a question that I wanted to ask but felt to ask would make me feel inferior as I have never eaten them I guess this forum is about trying new food.so I would love to hear about the flavour and use of dumplings..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 09:34AM by marylew.
January 18, 2017 10:02AM
I'm curious about the dumplings, as well. I wondered if they might be pierogies, or more like the Chinese pork buns that I sometimes buy frozen from an Asian Supermarket here.
January 18, 2017 10:15AM
Aaaahhhhh Marnie - Chinese pork buns is what I was thinking of when I wrote my post and that is what I had eaten! Thank you for jogging my memory.
Regards,
Dawn.
January 18, 2017 10:41AM
I buy the ones that are Pierogis - but on the packet they are called Dumplings.
January 18, 2017 10:14PM
Frozen peas
Frozen spinach
Mini iceblocks
Pastry
Frozen berries
Dumplings
Fish fingers or fish bites
January 19, 2017 06:56AM
I buy the leannes veggie ones, and steam them, then lightly pan fry them. I take a few to work with the Endemane beans and a dipping sauce.
January 19, 2017 09:46PM
So many similarities.
I cant believe I forgot icecream, I dont buy it that much but the kids get tip top and I LOVE Kohu Rd Chocolate - really pricey but really good!
Vanessa
January 22, 2017 08:37AM
Peas
Corn
Spinach
Blueberries
Raspberries
Prawns
Dumplings
Pastry - occasionally
Icecream
Alisons Sausage rolls - for when I have teenagers over

I believe frozen vege have good nutritional value and I find them useful in late winter/early spring.
January 22, 2017 09:07AM
I had to have a chuckle when doing the weekly shop at PnS..... They had punnets of fresh blueberries and they weren't expensive - $2.99 a punnet if i remember rightly? We were waiting at the checkout and in the trolley in front was a box of frozen blueberries. Which I can understand out of season - but when they are in season?
January 22, 2017 12:21PM
Possibly for smoothies, I use frozen fruit for smoothies just for convenience more than anything. Prefer my smoothies thick and very cold.
January 22, 2017 08:24PM
OK Griz, I never thought of that!!
January 23, 2017 04:38AM
I use the Leanne's kitchen dumplings. I like them, I chose them because they are MSG free.
January 23, 2017 08:05AM
Peas, Prawns, Hoki Fillets (great for a quick easy meal), icecream, hashbrowns, berries.
January 25, 2017 01:28PM
Frozen things I buy...
peas
Corn
Spinach
and Pastry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.