Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Granary Flour

Posted by Bev 
Bev
Granary Flour
May 05, 2004 08:36PM
I have a recipe that calls for Granary Flour. I have read that Granary Flour is a mixture of wholemeal flour and malted wheat grains. Can anyone help me with a suitable substitute. I feel that the malted flavour is very important in this recipe but I am not sure where I can get malted grains from. Thanksgrinning smiley
Lyn
Re: Granary Flour
May 05, 2004 11:18PM
Maybe your local health food shop can help? Lyn.
Bev
May 06, 2004 12:51AM
Thanks Lyn. I have rung a few with no lucksad smiley
May 06, 2004 12:56AM
why don't you get some wheat, coat in some malt and roast it? I'm sure you can get malt these days, is it a bread recipe?
Elaine E
May 06, 2004 02:42AM
Bev,

Unfortunately, Granary flour seems to be produced only in the UK, and it's really delicious, I have to add! The following link gives you a substitution for it which I hope works out for you:

[www.low-carb-recipes.ws]
Liza
May 06, 2004 03:01AM
I'll be trying that one - thanks Elaine smiling smiley I agree about the granary flour - I come from the UK and really miss it!!!sad smiley
Bev
May 06, 2004 03:24AM
Elaine thank you so much for the link. I will try in out in the next few days and let you know how it turned out. What a shame it is not available in NZ as it does sound nice. I am also going to try experimenting with some other mixes to see if I can get something similar. :}
May 06, 2004 09:10AM
This is a real long shot, but you could try a homebrew shop for the malted grain to make your own granary flour. Malted grains are a common ingredient in home brewing/distilling, and brew shops here do sell them, but I don't know if they're ground or whole grain.

Lynne2
May 06, 2004 02:08PM
What! No granary?? :-o

That's it, I'm not moving to NZ now!! 8)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.