Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Banana Salad

Posted by Marnie 
Banana Salad
March 05, 2017 12:49AM
Recently I was at a barbecue, I had just recovered from a virus and my appetite was next to zero. There was a banana salad, it tasted wonderful. It had a slight curry taste but I can't remember tasting any onion with it. It wasn't creamy and I think it would have been fairly simple, with the banana and slight curry taste dominating.
I have tried to replicate it (the catering was outsourced so I can't ask others who were there if it was their recipe).
Some searches in Google have come up with so many variations.
If anyone has a simple recipe, I would appreciate it if you could share it.
Re: Banana Salad
March 05, 2017 06:50AM
Marnie you have reminded me that I have a Fruit Curry recipe which I first ate at a family gathering at my Husband's Aunt's home in the early years of our marriage. I asked her for the recipe and have made it many times, but not in recent years as I have totally forgotten about it. We loved it. Her's was served warm - you don't say whether the one you ate was warm, so I'm not sure whether this recipe will fit the bill for you. Sorry it's in imperial measurements.

If you decide to try this recipe I don't think I'd use a Granny Smith apple as I think it would be better to use an apple which holds it's shape.
Regards,
Dawn.
PS - Just re-read your post and you say you don't think there was any onion in the salad you ate, so this recipe is probably far from what you are looking for! smiling smiley

FRUIT CURRY

Melt 1 oz butter, add 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped apple and cook until soft.

Stir in and cook together:
1 dessertspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 dessertspoon coconut

Then add: 1/4 pint water and 1/4 pint milk mixed together. Cook.

Finally add 1 drained tin of pineapple pieces and gently heat through for 15 minutes.

Just before serving add 1 sliced banana.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2017 06:56AM by Dawn.
March 06, 2017 12:51AM
Dawn, thanks for that. I intend using your recipe as I think it would make a great addition to our Summer meals. Thanks for the tip about not using Granny Smith apples, maybe I will use something like a Braeburn.
Looking at the onion, it is chopped and cooked so the salad I had could have had something like that in it without me realising.
Cheers,
Marnie
March 06, 2017 07:15AM
Marnie I have never heard of a banana salad but it does sound wonderful.I would love to know more about it.Is it just a fruity side dish or a spinach or similar type salad with banana added to it?Many years ago I tried a spinach,avocado ,mushroom salad with bananas and that was beautiful.I never did get the recipe and your post has reminded me of this lovely salad.If anyone has this type of recipe or the recipe your interested in I would love to have them.I'm keen to try something that's new to me.
March 06, 2017 10:14AM
There is a recipe for a banana salad in a magazine I was reading last night, possibly the latest AWW or the H&G. I'll try to remember to have a look tomorrow.
March 07, 2017 02:09AM
Marylew, banana salad can be used anyway you like. I use it as a cold side or piled on a bed of greens/sprouts. The one you remember also sounds delicious and I will definitely be trying Dawn's recipe. I have a more substantial recipe that uses kumera/kumara in the dish and serve that one hot or cold.
I am hoping Griz may be able to post the one she saw, as well.

This is a recipe I found on Google and have adapted it, leaving out the cinnamon and using a little curry powder to taste. I also use melted butter in place of the coconut oil. Quantities can be varied, particularly the bananas in this household, as I often go to get a banana only to find my husband has eaten them all. If your appetite is a little jaded it is easy to swallow.

[lovelovething.com]
March 07, 2017 02:46AM
rThanks Marnie I had never heard of banana salad until now.Obviously the salad I was thinking of was just a green salad with bananas added to it.Am I able to have your kumera salad recipe please (if that was what you meant with banana added to it) Thanks.Or anyone else who has a salad recipe with bananas added.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 02:48AM by marylew.
March 07, 2017 02:59AM
Marylew, my Mother used to slice a banana into her serving of the old fashioned lettuce, tomato, cucumber etc. salad and dress it with mayonnaise and I always thought the addition of banana was strange until I tried it myself. Try it - it's beautiful!
Regards,
Dawn.
March 07, 2017 05:04AM
Thanks Dawn will do.What do you serve your fruit curry with.You see this is something new to me also and I will be making it thanks.
March 07, 2017 05:53AM
Marylew it makes a wonderful buffet dish - it was part of a buffet meal when I first encountered it.

Lovely with ham, chicken, sausages, cold meats, in fact here at home we'd probably eat it with any type of meat to be honest! Make sure you use a lovely firm but ripe banana as you want the banana to keep it's shape. If I remember correctly I think I may have used more flour than the recipe states to get a thicker sauce. I must make it again and refresh my memory! It is a recipe of the 1960's/70's!!
Regards,
Dawn.
March 07, 2017 07:28PM
Hi Marnie, if you can find out the name of the caterer then I can try and get the recipe for you through them.
March 08, 2017 01:51AM
Hi Helen, many thanks for that. It wasn't a local caterer but a small cafe in another town otherwise I would be back for more smiling smiley Next time I am at the club I will ask the locals.
March 08, 2017 01:56AM
The recipe I was referring to was in this month's NZ House and Garden. As this is a current issue and the recipe isn't online, I've typed it out and will PM to people who want it. It contains kumara and banana, red capsicum and coriander, and is lightly curried.

Have PM'd it to you already Marnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 02:04AM by Griz.
March 08, 2017 06:02AM
Could I please have the recipe as well Griz Thanks.
March 08, 2017 07:46AM
Can I please join the queue griz?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 07:57AM by Chris.
March 08, 2017 12:57PM
Have PM'd you both.
March 08, 2017 09:27PM
Would love to have this as well, if you don't mind. Thanks
March 08, 2017 11:24PM
PM'd to Margaret too.
March 09, 2017 12:32AM
Can someone satisfy my curiosity - why not post the recipe on this forum instead of sending it by PM ?
March 09, 2017 02:19AM
Thank you, Griz. On my "to make" list.
March 09, 2017 05:28AM
TPANDAV the recipe will be protected by copyright - I think we are all pretty careful when it comes to possible copyright infringement and the responsibilities we have not to get Helen under fire because we have abused the copyright laws. Unless of course we dabble in changing a recipe's ingredient list or proportions thereof to change a recipe enough to make it an original recipe. I'm not sure that putting a recipe up in a post with credit to it's Author is enough to exonerate us from copyright infringement.

I for one can't be bothered changing a copyrighted recipe's ingredient list or method so that I can put it up on a post - it's far easier to offer to PM it to whoever wants it and I'm one that doesn't have a problem with people asking for recipes to be sent to them. smiling smiley
Regards,
Dawn.
PS - someone will correct me if what I've written above is incorrect (please).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 05:31AM by Dawn.
March 09, 2017 07:16AM
That is my understanding, too, Dawn. If the recipe is openly on the internet that changes things.
As with Dawn, I am open to being corrected.
March 09, 2017 12:53PM
Yes that is the basis I'm working on.
jal
March 11, 2017 06:33AM
This from many years ago. Thank you for reminding me of it. Crunchy Banana Salad
2 tsp curry powder
2tsp oil
5 firm medium bananas
6 radishes
1 small onion diced
2 stalks celery
1/2 cup beans routs
S and P
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp dry mustard
Combine oil and curry powder and heat gently for 1 min. Cool.
Cut up veg and slice banana.
Combine oil mixture lemon juice and mustard until smooth for dressing
March 11, 2017 07:06AM
Wow jal,that sounds lovely.Have printed it off.
March 11, 2017 07:45AM
Me too Jal, I've printed it off!
D.
March 13, 2017 04:05AM
@grizz could I have that recipe please?
March 16, 2017 11:35PM
I would also love this recipe please.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.