Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

What constitutes a hot cross bun?

Posted by helen 
What constitutes a hot cross bun?
March 20, 2017 04:33AM
We had a rather lively discussion on Radio Live last Saturday morning about what constitutes a hot cross bun.
I was way too opinionated in rejecting the brioche lemon buns that were presented to us that had no spice or fruit in them but they did have a cross on the top.
Although I wish I had been a bit calmer about it I still feel that a hot cross bun is surely more than just any bun with a cross on top.
What do you think?
Re: What constitutes a hot cross bun?
March 20, 2017 05:12AM
My best resource for English baking is Elizabeth David's English Bread and Yeast Cookery, and in summary her views on Hot Cross Buns are:

1. HCB originated from Tudor Spice Buns, which in 1592 were prohibited by law from being sold on days other than the Friday before Easter, at Christmas and at funerals. This restriction was gradually relaxed as it became impossible to enforce, but spiced buns continued to be available only in the days around Easter.

2. The cross was originally a simple cross-cut on the top of the bun; the pastry band which is used these days is not essential and in fact prevents the cross-cut from deterring splitting.

3. HCBs are not invariably spiced but unless the recipients dislike spices it is a pity to leave them out.

4. HCBs contain currants. These cannot be omitted.
March 20, 2017 06:04AM
Ahh that is interesting that currants are seen to be essential as I would have thought that raisins or sultanas would be equally OK.
I personally find the spice essential.
March 20, 2017 06:07AM
Missed your discussion on Saturday morning Helen. For me the ingredient list must contain sultanas, raisins, or currants, mixed peel, cinnamon, mixed spice and MUST have some ground cloves added also. A cross on the top also.

No spice or fruit doesn't cut the mustard.
Regards,
Dawn.
March 20, 2017 06:12AM
If we were on Facebook I would give your comment a "like" Dawn. smiling smiley
March 20, 2017 07:31AM
Same as Dawn. We bought some once that had no spice, we were quite miffed!smiling smiley
March 20, 2017 11:51AM
Dawn I'm with you. And I absolutely positively refuse to buy them until just before Easter! They've been available here in Adelaide since early January!!!!
March 20, 2017 10:06PM
For me the spices are the number one essential, followed closely by fruit (but no peel, please). Currants are OK but I prefer fat, juicy sultanas. I've become used to the 'paste' cross and can't remember what HCB's had on top before paste became the norm. And like Heather F, I haven't had a HCB yet. They are special and to be eaten only over the 4 day Easter Holiday otherwise they become ho-hum and not special. Our New World had them on sale straight after Christmas. angry smiley

My favourite topping? Roses Ginger Marmalade or Roses Lime & Ginger Jam. Not traditional, I know, but soooooo delicious!
March 21, 2017 06:54AM
Spices and lots of fruit for me, including peel but not too much. Of course they must have a cross on top, and served toasted with lashings and lashings of butter. Like others I only eat them over Easter, we grew up with HCB on Good Friday and eggs on Sunday. Limits the caloric intake a bit.

While not traditional, and not (to my mind) an actual HCB one of our local cafes makes Belgian Chocolate easter buns...OMG to die for!!!! So we usually get a couple of packets of each (and a couple to send to DD in Dunedin too).
March 21, 2017 10:15AM
I'm a traditionalist so I think a hot cross bun should have spice, fruit and a sticky cross on top and served warm with butter

No to chocolate chips or chocolate please!

I would prefer to see them only around Easter - I feel the same about Christmas mince pies (which I love) but you can still buy them at the supermarkets now!
March 21, 2017 11:58PM
Spices, raisins, peel, sultanas and currants are a must as well as the cross on top. I bake them fresh for Good Friday and we eat them on that day as well as the Easter holidays. Like many here, we don't eat them before Good Friday as it just wouldn't be special.
March 22, 2017 09:50AM
The only thing I don't like is I find hot cross buns seem so doughy and heavy on the inside

Are they suppose to be like that? or are they suppose to be light?
March 22, 2017 10:22AM
Id say it has to have the fruit mix and spice and of course the cross on the top. I had some that were brioche based but with fruit and the cross, my kids LOVED them. They werent as dark in colour - quite yellow and golden, probably a lot less spice.

Vanessa
March 28, 2017 09:40AM
The apple and cinnamon hot cross buns from Bakers delight are quite good!
April 05, 2017 12:56PM
How about a Vegemite Hot Cross Bun. This featured on the Bakers Delight Australia Facebook page as an April Fools' Day Joke.
April 06, 2017 10:45AM
My husband ALWAYS puts vegemite on his hot cross buns or fruit toast, and recently our local paper had a question about strange taste combinations, and someone else answered vegemite on hot cross buns... weird. I won't let him eat them like that in front of me, yuck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.