Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Take them homemade food

Posted by Janet or Emma 
Take them homemade food
April 19, 2017 10:57AM
Following on from Helen's blog, I'd like some suggestions. Although I'm a confident cook, I struggle (and probably overthink) what to take people. I have a young friend with a five month old and 2.5 year old who has very recently been widowed. I'd like to take something useful, but am mindful of it being nutritious and appealing, and maybe able to be refrigerated or frozen for a day or two if necessary. My mind automatically goes to lasagne, but there's only so many of those you want to eat.

I'd like to be helpful, but maybe even more importantly show that people care. I think this could be a useful resource. Thanks in advance
Re: Take them homemade food
April 19, 2017 12:48PM
Morrocan chicken hotpot with the couscous in a separate container.
Shepherds/cottage pie (perhaps with kumara or pumpkin mash rather than potato).
Beef ragu with mash or pasta.
Fish pie.
Vege soups with a nice loaf of bread.

These were the things I was making for my friends, one coping with a terminally ill husband, and the other dealing with his own cancer diagnosis. They all reheat well and can be frozen if need be.
April 19, 2017 11:02PM
I make the Ruth pretty ginger loaf, this keeps for a week in a container and is great with just a smear of butter. It is a good one to have on hand and can be frozen should it need to be. A batch of frozen pikelets for the young child ,easy to defrost for a quick snack.
This sort of chicken pie is really tasty and may be something a 2.5yr old may eat. Just needs a serve of veggies.
Chicken pie, remove the chicken meat from a roasted chicken. (usually I use half the meat) Then boil the carcass in water with a chopped onion for about 1/2 hour or so. reserve liquid to make a sauce. Sauté an onion in butter until really soft but not browned, add flour to make a roux, add reserved chicken stock, season well with s&p, add herbs and a little cream, stir through the shredded chicken. pour into a baking dish and top with bread crumbs whizzed with a little butter and cheese. bake for approx 30 min until golden.
I am sure anything given would be hugely appreciated.
J1
April 19, 2017 11:54PM
This is a chicken stew which is really like a very thick chicken soup. It's a "one pot wonder" and contains everything for a meal ideal for lunch or dinner. Freezes easily. Lasts several days in the fridge.

Chicken & Barley Stew
Serves 4
100g pearl barley
2 tbspns oil
8 chicken thighs (skinned & boned), halved
500ml chicken stock (you can use water but the chicken stock adds extra flavour)
200g potatoes, chunked
2 large carrots, sliced
1 leek, trimmed & sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 tbspns tomato paste
2 courgettes, sliced
2 tbspns fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbspns cornflour
4 tbspns water
1 tspn salt
freshly ground pepper

Pre-cook barley in some water for approx. 30 minutes. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes each side. Add stock, barley, potatoes, carrots, leek, onion, and tomato paste. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add courgettes and parsley, cover pan and cook for further 10 minutes. Thicken with cornflour and water mix, cooking over a low heat for a further five minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into individual serving bowls and garnish with parsley.
April 20, 2017 12:28AM
Hi Karen, would you be able to give me the recipe for Ruth Pretty's ginger loaf.I tried to google it but I can't find the one you might be talking about.Thanks.
April 20, 2017 09:54AM
Sorry ,I have it thanks
April 20, 2017 10:29AM
Sorry Marylew, just come home from work and saw comment. It is really a lovely loaf and i think tastes better after a day or two. Enjoy !
April 20, 2017 01:45PM
Thanks for the ideas. It's a bit like cooking dinner. The hardest bit is the inspiration, and you've given me lots. Thanks so much.
April 20, 2017 11:55PM
Must be a very hard time for your friend - Bringing home cooked meals to someone in situations like this is always welcome and much needed. Its the last thing you feel like doing when you are going through tough times - but you need to eat, and keep your strength up and usually feed other people who are visiting.

Always good to have on hand something like Ginger loaf for those visitors or even Helen's Banana Bread would be a good one to take OR Helen's favourite Shortbread

I always find soup is good - not so much for the children - but your friend might not be that hungry but having a cup of soup might be all she is after at the moment. You can put it in smaller plastic pots so she could freeze and remove one or two cups at a time.
Here are some options for soup
[www.foodlovers.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 11:57PM by IngridO.
des
April 21, 2017 08:13AM
Hi Karen, is that the Ruth Pretty feijoa, date and ginger loaf? Thanks des
April 21, 2017 08:26AM
What about some freezer staples such as containers of cooked mince/carrots/pasta sauce/mexi mince , mashed potato, creamy chicken and bacon pie filling, fish pie filling and a few packets of precooked rice and packets of wraps.

That way she can mix n match the meals with either rice/potato or as I do, just eat the filling with a green salad or extra veg. She could also feed her 2 year old too.

Easy and flexible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2017 08:27AM by Vanessa45.
April 21, 2017 05:37PM
What about something like the "Herby muffins". I made them lately and my daughter, who likes trying my culinary experiments, ate them at once and another two for packed lunch. The next time I will prepare many more.

Ingredients (8 muffins):

200g of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
125ml of milk
50ml of oil
1 egg
200g of courgettes
75g of ham
100g of cheese
2 teaspoon of mixed herbs
salt and pepper

the whole recipe is here

Flora205 Warsaw/Poland
[www.home-madepatchwork.com]
Follow me on Facebook and Instagram
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0716a.jpg (274 KB)
open | download - DSC_0724a.jpg (232.7 KB)
April 21, 2017 11:50PM
Hi Des here is a link to the ginger loaf i make. [www.ruthpretty.co.nz]
Enjoy !
April 24, 2017 03:22AM
Hi Karen
I would love the Ginger Loaf recipe too please if possible
Thanks
Margaret
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.