Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Not all chocolate mousse are equal

Posted by helen 
Not all chocolate mousse are equal
July 04, 2017 03:30AM
I had the most delicious chocolate mousse last week at Cazador in Dominion Rd Auckland.
It was rich and almost chocolate sticky. Not too airy but rich and luscious.
Some recipes for chocolate mousse use both the yolks and the whites and some use just whites.
Some "cook" the yolk with the sugar first and then whisk in the chocolate and cream.

Do any of you make a really good rich chocolate mousse and if so what method/ingredients do you use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2017 03:32AM by helen.
Re: Not all chocolate mousse are equal
July 04, 2017 04:02AM
Oh and Julia Child's mousse has butter but no cream....
hmm the variations are endless for such a simple dish.
July 04, 2017 06:09AM
I've had Cazador's chocolate mousse and it was too sweet for my taste. I like Elizabeth David's recipe, as follows:

Chocolate Mousse

175g top quality dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids.
1 tab brandy or rum or strong coffee
30g unsalted butter
4 eggs, separated

In a bowl over simmering water melt the chocolate in the brandy. Stir until completely smooth and cool for 10 minutes. Stir again, and add butter, stir until amalgamated. Stir in egg yolks until complete amalgamated. Whisk egg whites to soft peaks (not stiff and dry), fold in a third until completely amalgamated. Very gently fold in remaining egg white until just combined.

Pour into glasses or ramekins and chill several hours until set. Improves with at least 24 hours chilling and will keep at least 5 days in the fridge.
July 04, 2017 06:58AM
The one I use is very similar to TPANDAV's.

250g chocoate
4 eggs (separated)
115g butter
1T sugar
1T strong coffee/rum/brandy

Melt chocolate, add butter, coffee and yolks.

Whip whites, add sugar, fold lightly into choc mix. Flecks of white are ok.

Spoon into cups and refrigerate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2017 12:54AM by Jenna.
July 04, 2017 07:12AM
TPANDAV when using butter in this recipe could I use salted butter or will it change the flavour.I see that Jenna's recipe uses salted butter.
July 04, 2017 07:58AM
I think salted butter will be fine provided it's good quality butter (e.g. Lewis Road, Westgold) as salt has an affinity with chocolate.
July 04, 2017 08:05AM
Thanks very much.As I don't have a good quality butter on hand I will buy unsalted for this recipe.I like the idea that this mousse improves with age as I am always looking for a do ahead dessert.Excellent thanks.
July 04, 2017 10:03AM
I use whatever butter I have around. Honestly, I think normal supermarket salted butter is just fine for my recipe.
July 04, 2017 10:23AM
marylew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
......I like the idea that this mousse improves
> with age as I am always looking for a do ahead
> dessert.Excellent thanks.

The Elizabeth David mousse can also be cooked, with delicious results. Friends of mine who owned a top end restaurant experimented with baking the chilled mousse for about 10 minutes in a hot oven, maybe 200 C. The result was a lovely crust on the top and a fudgy soufflé texture underneath, served at room temperature, which was highly convenient. Their customers adored it and so did they because it was so easy to do.
July 04, 2017 10:37AM
Thanks Jenna,can I confess to not having ever made chocolate mousse.It was a dessert that my late husband didn't like so I wasn't interested before now,but I know my family will like it.I like the idea of being able to make a dessert at least the day before because often on the day I take too much on and fail.Thanks Jenna I should relax about recipes.
July 04, 2017 10:44AM
Whoops TPANDAV. a bit too adventurous for me but maybe in time.Thanks.
July 04, 2017 11:55AM
Ooh Tpandav I love that idea of heating mousse and will try it tomorrow.

Today I made a mousse with egg yolk whisked and cooked with some sugar (3 tablespoons) in a bowl over simmering water.
Melted the chocolate. I used the whole bar being 225g, didn't see the point in leaving 50g over.
Whisked the egg white.
Combined everything and spooned into glasses.
I find I do like sugar with very dark chocolate and I used vanilla as opposed to brandy or coffee.
I am definitely a fan of mousse without cream and also prefer this to the 170g butter that Julia Childs uses.

Do you think the butter just gives a sheen or what other reason is it needed for?
Mine seems smooth enough without.
July 04, 2017 12:59PM
I think the butter is there for texture and a flavour. If you're happy enough with the result excluding butter, then there probably isn't a reason to put it in.

Marylew, generally chocolate mousse is quite simple and also quite forgiving to make. I don't use super expensive chocolate, usually just a Whittaker's or *gasp* Cadbury Old Gold Original (not the 72%, I find it too bitter). Of course you can use better quality chocolate, but price does get in the way of what otherwise is a fairly quick and economical desert that my family enjoys several times a year. I find my recipe makes about 6-8 servings, depending on the size of dish used.
July 04, 2017 01:31PM
This is the one I always make as is thick and uses only the yolks and only need a little. I use it too when making my chocolate trifle for christmas day which everyone loves.

One Step Chocolate Mousse

300ml cream
200g cooking chocolate
¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
4 egg yolks
1 tbl Grand Marnier/Brandy/Kahlua (opt)
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp grated orange rind – optional
60g butter, cubed

Heat cream in a saucepan until bubbles for around the edges but making sure not to boil. Place chopped chocolate, sugar, egg yolks, liqueur, orange rind and vanilla in a blender. Pour in hot cream while blending on high speed for about 1 minute. Drop in butter one at a time. Continue blending until smooth. Pour into 8 small serving glasses. Refrigerate for 1 – 2 hours before serving.
July 05, 2017 12:57AM
helen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you think the butter just gives a sheen or what
> other reason is it needed for?
> Mine seems smooth enough without.

The butter gives a velvety texture and mouthfeel, and rounds out the flavour without diluting the chocolate the way cream does. I haven't tried using the large quantity of butter required in the Julia Child recipe but I'm intrigued and might try it next time using Petit Normand or Lewis Road unsalted butter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.