Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Eating Salmon.

Posted by marylew 
Eating Salmon.
August 12, 2017 08:15AM
I don't particularly like salmon.I will eat it from the tin on toast but I know it won't be as good as some cuts of whole fresh salmon.If it is on a menu anywhere I will dodge it.I would like to have a lower cholesterol level without having to take medication.I see it in the supermarket but I wouldn't know what cut or type to buy or is it to be cooked or eaten as is?Any ideas or recipes or what to serve it with would be wonderful thanks.
J1
Re: Eating Salmon.
August 12, 2017 08:38AM
Maybe start with one of the little 2x 50g packets of smoked salmon which are in the refrigerated section, e.g.
[shop.countdown.co.nz]
You can eat smoked salmon straight from the packet just by itself, or put it with anything else you like - in a salad, on bread, on crackers, etc.

The salmon that's for sale at the fish counter (hoki, tarakihi, snapper, salmon, etc) is for cooking really. Sometimes they'll have cut it into individual portions or it will be in fillets - choose a small one if so as salmon's very rich and you may not want to eat very much at one time. You can pan fry it (just a touch of oil in the pan first, or none at all even, as the salmon releases oil during cooking) on medium heat, a couple of minutes both sides probably, until it's not raw looking in the middle anymore. You can eat the skin (it's nice done crispy) or choose not to.
August 12, 2017 08:50AM
Salmon is very easy to cook, the main thing is not to overcook it as it is best when medium-rare. Keep an eye on the fish counter at your supermarket and wait until the salmon looks fresh - it should be glossy, luscious and smooth looking. I mostly smoke it, but here's what I do when I cook it fresh:

Teriyaki Marinade

for 4 x salmon fillets, pin boned

100 ml sake or Shaoxing wine
100 ml mirin
100 ml tamari or dark soy sauce
1 tab caster sugar

Mix well to dissolve, pour over fish and stand 30 - 60 min.

Pan fry in a little oil over medium heat, starting with the skin side for about 5 minutes, turn and cook 1 min on the other side, remove to a warm serving plate and allow to rest for a few minutes. Serve with rice, and a salad of spring onions, cucumber, tomato, or with steamed spinach or silver beet.
August 13, 2017 06:21AM
Whats wrong with tinned salmon. In some ways its better isnt it as its not farmed?
August 13, 2017 06:49AM
Plates I don't know.I would rather eat it from the tin but I took for granted that if it was tinned it couldn't be as healthy as fresh salmon.Perhaps I had better research it.Thanks..
August 13, 2017 08:55AM
Interested in findings please.....I eat both - they have different flavours but I don't think one is healthier than the other.
August 14, 2017 12:34AM
I used to find fresh salmon too rich. I now LOVE salmon, all types.

Obviously you have a few choices - fresh, tinned, hot smoked and cold smoked. I believe the fresh salmon to be the richest taste and possibly harder to stomach if youre not into salmon. I often use lots of lemon and capers to cut through the fat.
Also there is a difference in taste and texture if eatting hot or cold. Once again fresh salmon hot, tastes richer in my opinion so letting it cool could be an option.
Flaking it into baby spinach is delicious as well as adding it to pasta with Lemon and capers.

You could also make salmon fish cakes or a salmon pate to smother on toast.

Teriyaki is another good idea as TPANDAV suggested, served with rice or noodles or even courgette noodles.
Vanessa
August 14, 2017 02:44AM
I eat fresh salmon at dinner but also eat canned wild-caught red salmon for lunch to keep up my Omega-3 intake. Farmed fresh salmon, the only kind of fresh we can get in NZ, has a higher fat content and usually a slightly higher Omega-3 content than wild salmon (but the wild is also a very good source of Omega-3). It's worth noting too that Consumer tested farmed salmon and found that a lot of it has less Omega-3 than claimed. It will have been farmed with additives such as a colourant to give it that pink colour, which comes naturally in the wild from the salmon eating krill, and veterinary medicines. Personally I prefer the taste of fresh but think wild has the edge in terms of healthiness, so if you prefer tinned, Marylew, I don't think there's any need to switch to fresh. It's a lot cheaper too! Red salmon has twice the fat content of pink and therefore a higher Omega-3 level, so I stick with that. It's still half the price of fresh salmon.
August 14, 2017 08:07AM
Forest and Bird's latest 'Best fish' guide has freshwater farmed salmon from Canterbury as the best option (ie most sustainably produced) so I stick with the Aoraki brand - it comes hot smoked or cold smoked, as well as in fresh fillets.
August 14, 2017 08:22AM
The only kind of salmon I can eat is hot smoked salmon, the cold smoked one is just slimy and I cannot do the texture at all. But I enjoy hot smoked on a potato rosti with a poached egg, or on blini with cream cheese. I'm not a fan of tinned salmon as I don't like the texture of the bones.
August 14, 2017 10:02PM
Thanks to all of you.I didn't have to google it you have all taught me something.
August 15, 2017 12:20AM
I like salmon a lot but agree it is rich.

I buy NZ farmed not Atlantic, hot smoked, cold smoked and occasionally tinned.

I like it cooked similar to TPandav, or sometimes with miso paste. I like it in a salad too or pasta.

I don't know the nutritional difference between the canned and the fresh - sometimes it is better to eat what you like.

I also like the Tuna pouches - especially Salsa Verde - I think they are Sealord. I find them an easy addition for a salad or sandwich for work days. I note they also have salmon ones ( I know I could make my own cheaper and without any additives at all but I don'tsmiling smiley)

[www.sealord.com]
August 15, 2017 01:46AM
I like salmon of all types.
For me, canned variety is mostly for sandwiches, toasted or plain. Occasionally I will make salmon cakes or salmon bites with it.
The thin slices, I tend to use on rye bread or blinis with cream cheese or creme fraiche, always with a few drops of lemon juice.
The larger pieces, I either bake with a topping mix that I make up and keep in the freezer or else I poach it in white wine.
I occasionally buy the portions with various flavours from the supermarket and eat a bit at a time for a quick lunch.
It is rich so it isn't an everyday thing and I buy the New Zealand salmon wherever possible.
August 16, 2017 01:30AM
I love fresh salmon with shredded fennel poached in white wine. Here's how I do it:

To a shallow pan add about half a cup of wine and similar amount of water, some parsley or dill, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and turn down to simmer for about 10 minutes till the fennel has softened.

Meanwhile, cook some couscous or risone for the same length of time.

For the last five minutes, slide the salmon fillet into the poaching fennel and cover. Cook for 3-5 minutes till the fish is done to your taste. Do not overcook it.

Serve with some brightly coloured vegetables and pour the poaching liquid over the salmon and couscous/risone.
August 17, 2017 10:13AM
I'm not wild about cold smoked salmon but enjoy hot smoked. I like tinned salmon on toast but only if it's mixed with pepper and malt vinegar. Other vinegar doesn't taste as good to me. I like salmon souffles made with tinned salmon and chives, tinned salmon potato cakes and tinned salmon and cucumber sandwiches. I think looking back on all this I rather enjoy tinned salmon after all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.