Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Can I use pork in this recipe?

Posted by networkn 
Can I use pork in this recipe?
September 06, 2017 01:25PM
[www.bite.co.nz]

I'll use beef if I must, however, I have a big bit of pork shoulder bone in I was going to make pulled pork on, that I wonder I could use for this instead?
Re: Can I use pork in this recipe?
September 06, 2017 02:37PM
I think pork shoulder would work well.
September 06, 2017 11:19PM
Yes the flavours would certainly work with pork although my concern would be the amount of pork fat that ended in the sauce.
I think you would have to trim a lot of fat off first.
With pulled pork the meat is usually slowly cooked and then the fat drained off before it is mixed with the sauce.

What do you think?
September 06, 2017 11:26PM
You must tell us how you much you liked the recipe when you make it Networkn.

I want to make it some time, but don't want to buy fenugreek seeds just for half a teaspoon worth. TPANDAV, you would be able to tell me if it particularly matters if I don't put them in, or is there a more common alternative?
Regards,
Dawn.
September 07, 2017 12:09AM
Dawn do you have fennel seeds? While different to fenugreek they can be used as a substitute.
September 07, 2017 12:11AM
Dawn, I can post you a couple of teaspoons of fenugreek seeds if you want some. Just pm me your address.
September 07, 2017 12:33AM
Fenugreek has a distinctive flavour and can't really be replaced. I'd leave it out rather than substituting fennel seeds.
September 07, 2017 04:06AM
This list of substitutes has some interesting options being;
maple syrup
crushed yellow mustard seeds
fennel seeds
curry powder

https://www.fenugreekworld.com/fenugreek-substitutes/
September 07, 2017 08:09AM
Thank you Helen for alternative suggestions for fenugreek seeds and also TPANDAV for your answer to my query. Also a huge thank you Lorna, it is so kind of you to offer to send me the seeds. smiling smiley

I've decided for the time being when I make the dish I will have altered it so much (because I've realised I don't have curry leaves either so they won't be going into it), I will just use the fennel seeds and see how it turns out.
Regards,
Dawn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.