Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bread stuffing Safety.

Posted by marylew 
Bread stuffing Safety.
November 26, 2017 04:01AM
I have been trying to google but can't find a suitable answer.I want to make a basic bread,onion,sage stuffing for xmas rolled into balls and hoped to do xmas eve and oven cook on the day.As there will be raw egg binding this is it safe to sit in the fridge uncooked for 24 hours?
Re: Bread stuffing Safety.
November 26, 2017 04:45AM
I think it'd be fine as you are doing it in balls and not putting it inside the turkey.
November 26, 2017 06:24AM
Agree with Griz - no problem.

The other thought I had was that you could perhaps make the stuffing balls ahead and freeze them. When I do a roast chicken, I always make up more stuffing than I need and freeze the excess for beef olives later. Although my stuffing doesn't have egg in it (I bind it with softened butter) I can't see that it would make any difference.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 06:26AM by Barbara Anne.
November 26, 2017 07:30AM
Thank you Griz and thank you Barbara Anne.The recipe I use has both butter and egg, do I not need both to get a moist stuffing?sorry it's something I don't often make.
November 26, 2017 07:53AM
If you are following an actual recipe I'd stick to that, the moisture content will have been worked out for the quantities.

I've never made a bread stuffing as my family prefer a sausage meat stuffing which is just sausage meat (I use good sausages and cut the meat out of the casings), fresh breadcrumbs, onion and lots of fresh herbs.
November 27, 2017 04:40AM
In the new Mindfood magazine (Dec) there is a very nice sounding stuffing which I am going to do this w/e. It has minced pork in it & are made into balls. & I am sure you could do them early & freeze.
DK
November 28, 2017 12:15AM
That should be absolutely fine. I've made waffle and pancake batters containing egg that sit in the fridge overnight. Same with a quiche filling. Also, homemade egg mayonnaise keeps for two weeks (not sure if the oil has any preservative qualities).

If you are worried about salmonella, remember that NZ eggs do not contain it. It is on the shells, however.
November 28, 2017 05:40AM
Thanks DK that is very reassuring.I think the fact that I will share it with others and have never had stuffing sit around uncooked for 24 hours with raw egg in it has worried me.Good news thanks. Lyn V that magazine I have never read but am keen to have a look.Thanks all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.