Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Morning/afternoon teas

Posted by gran 
Morning/afternoon teas
January 23, 2018 03:21AM
The local croquet club is co-hosting the "Worlds" matches in Paraparaumu and the committee members have been asked to provide morning and afternoon teas for 10 days for 20 competitors. I have already made and frozen a banana loaf and date loaf plus store bought sausage rolls. Any other suggestions for me to make/bake which can be frozen if necessary, and which will impress our overseas guests?
Re: Morning/afternoon teas
January 23, 2018 04:30AM
Hi Gran,
Gee that's a lot of morning teas!
I think anything homemade would be well received, and what about platters of beautiful NZ fresh fruit, homemade mini quiches and frittatas - they can be hot or cold, and what's a morning tea without asparagus rolls?
January 23, 2018 05:01AM
*Little bacon and cheese quiche
*oaty ginger crunch
*tan square - I freeze this all the time and love it straight from the freezer
*cheese rolls - as in the southland kind.
*Belgium biscuits - perhaps not to freeze though
*Shortbread, freeze logs and then slice and bake later. Lovely fresh and buttery.
*Club or Chicken sandwiches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2018 05:02AM by helen.
January 23, 2018 05:29AM
Oh yes, tan square - I think I used to crunch up some cornflakes into the topping to make it more crunchy - I will definately give this a go. Thank you.
January 23, 2018 07:03AM
You have to have some sausage rolls and/or savouries as well as egg sandwiches - my favourite at any kiwi morning tea.

Helens oaty ginger crunch is amazing, another kiwi favourite.

Lemon muffins/slice is always a bit of a winner too.

Vanessa
Anonymous User
January 23, 2018 08:38AM
Having a cup of tea in the morning and afternoon keeps you healthy and keeps you free from tiredness. Having it with 2 slices of cakes or cookies is a good option.
January 23, 2018 12:09PM
My suggestions are

Lemon Pound Cake
Brownie
Bliss Balls

Smoked salmon soufflés
Mini samosas
Bacon & Egg Slice
Mini Spring Rolls
January 23, 2018 01:46PM
I'd go retro, butterfly cakes, pikelets with jam and cream (or lemon curd and cream), I do agree that you need some savoury flavours, but you know, don't over egg the cake, just provide something to eat with a nice refreshing cuppa, and they'll enjoy it.
jjj
January 23, 2018 10:06PM
Don't forget good old scones warm with butter, quick to knock up in the morning and lots of variety you could make different flavours each day, plain, sultana, date, pecan and pumpkin, bacon, cheese, onion and herb - the list goes on there lots of ideas on line and you can use pretty much the same basic recipe and add your flavours. They freeze well too for that matter.
January 23, 2018 10:10PM
I had cinnamon and blueberry scones at a cafe a few years ago and they were fab. You can cut some into triangles, some round, some square to give variety too since you have so many morning and afternoon teas to do in a row to the same crowd.
January 24, 2018 06:41AM
Thank you everyone for very helpful suggestions.

cheers Gran

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2018 06:41AM by gran.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.