Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Self Raising Flour

Posted by Cheese Lover 
Self Raising Flour
January 24, 2018 03:38AM
Some friends and I were talking about Self Raising Flour compared to Standard flour plus baking powder.

My friend said old recipes were fine with Standard flour plus baking powder (1 cup flour, 1 tsp BP) but the recipe for Self Raising Flour has changed and newer recipes are written with this in mind.

I don't buy Self Raising Flour (one less container in the pantry) but wondered what others did?

I do bake (scones, muffins, cakes, brownies, slices etc) and am relatively successful but occasionally things do go wrong.
Re: Self Raising Flour
January 24, 2018 08:54AM
I don't ever use self raising flour but I did get told from a very very good baker many years ago that if you are using ordinary flour in place of Self Raising flour always use more BP which is what I have done for years and that has always worked for me...I use my judgment depending on recipe like scones I use more but I tend to just go for half teaspoon more for biscuits, cakes..1 cup flour 1 1/2 teaspoon BP....like you Cheese Lover I never have Self Raising in the pantry.
January 24, 2018 08:55AM
I never used to buy SR flour, but started to about 12 years ago when I got quite into baking. I noticed that cakes made with SR flour (when the recipe called for it) were quite different in texture to those made with plain flour + BP (I used 1C flour and 1.5t BP). I did some reading on it at the time and it seemed to be something about protein content being lower in SR flour, therefore it made less gluten, which made a finer textured end product. But that lower gluten level wasn't appropriate for all baking, with cookies often spreading more before setting. I do only use SR flour when the recipe calls for it.

If you're interested, perhaps try it for yourself and see if you notice a difference. If you don't, then no reason to stuff another box in the pantry!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2018 08:56AM by Jenna.
January 24, 2018 09:34AM
I rarely use SR flour and also tend to work on 1.5 tsp baking powder to each cup of flour.
Sometimes I will buy it but off the top of my head I can't remember what I would specifically use it for.
January 24, 2018 08:26PM
I always have SR flour on hand and use it when it called for in a recipe - I hadn't really given it much thought. I give it a stir before measuring out as read somewhere that the raising agent can settle to the bottom.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
January 24, 2018 10:25PM
I'm with Barbara Anne and use many recipes calling for self-raising flour and (lazy me) it's much easier than sifting B.P. through plain flour. But I do not substitute s.r. flour when a recipe uses plain flour and B.P. Because of flour 'settling' I stir or shake up any flour before using to get the air through it and lighten it up.

If I decide to pan-fry fish I prefer to use seasoned self-raising flour to coat the fish and I often coat it twice - i.e. first coat fish with milk, then coating of s.r. flour, then a 2nd dunk in milk and a 2nd coating of s.r. flour. It's only because I think the s.r. flour gives the coating a little more 'life' than plain flour.

I had not heard of the s.r. flour recipe having been changed. That is of interest.
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2018 10:26PM by Dawn.
January 24, 2018 11:47PM
I don't tend to use self-raising as I don't like the taste of a lot of raising agent. I'm very sparing with it and usually would only use 1 tsp in a recipe. Seems to work for me - everything rises fine. One of my pet hates is eating a scone in a café and finding my mouth is dry from all the baking powder they've used.
Bev
January 26, 2018 06:21AM
I don’t buy self raising flour either and l use a ratio of 1.5 tsp baking powder to 1 cup flour.
January 26, 2018 06:46AM
I do buy self-raising flour and use it when the recipe requires it. Once I wanted to make a recipe that required it but I didn't have any. I just added 1 tsp of baking powder but it was one of those cake recipes where I don't think it would have mattered.
January 30, 2018 02:11AM
Interesting - I wonder if it is an ürban myth...

Between having cornflour, rice flour, standard flour, high grade flour, buckwheat flour and occasionally wholemeal flour I am keen not to have another one to store....so I will leave it and stick with adding baking powder.

Thanks for all the comments!!
February 02, 2018 04:06AM
I would never be without s r flour
I always use for scones and they are great, and cakes. It is a ' softer ' flour I feel and cakes made with bp and plain flour are firmer
One cake dessert slice (shallow cake) I make with fresh fruit on top and always sr flour - was made by a fried who used plain flour and bp and didn't follow my recipe - and wondered why her fruit sat on top and didn't sink into the cake. It was not luscious at all Not nearly as nice
February 02, 2018 07:17AM
My pet hate, is when people don't follow recipes, and then often follow up with "I'm such a rubbish cook" or similar. Baking in particular is a science, and you simply HAVE to follow the recipe if you want the same results.

I currently have plain flour, SR flour, wholemeal flour, rice flour, corn flour, masa and probably a couple of others tucked in the pantry as well, and try to use the appropriate flour for the recipe.
March 05, 2018 10:47PM
I make my own SR Flour. Would not use any oher SR Flour. This recipe is from a very old fundraising recipe book.

500gr flour, 2 tsp icing sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking soda, 4 tsp cream of tartar. Sift all together and use as required. Amounts can
be doubled for a larger quantity. I have been known to triple the amounts. All good!!

Kind Regards

Anne Sutherland
March 08, 2018 07:48AM
I make my own too. So many online recipes you can find including detailed videos
March 08, 2018 11:17AM
anne sutherland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I make my own SR Flour. Would not use any oher SR
> Flour. This recipe is from a very old fundraising
> recipe book.
>
> 500gr flour, 2 tsp icing sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 2
> tsp baking soda, 4 tsp cream of tartar. Sift all
> together and use as required. Amounts can
> be doubled for a larger quantity. I have been
> known to triple the amounts. All good!!

What is the icing sugar needed for?
March 08, 2018 11:18AM
I wondered that too?
March 08, 2018 09:28PM
So did I.
J1
March 10, 2018 01:41AM
I've never bought self-raising flour as I've always understood it to be just plain flour with baking powder already added. An internet search seems to confirm this (no alternative ingredients have come up). I just sub the 1 cup flour + 1 tspn BP.

I thought buying self-raising flour was akin to buying pancake premixes, or cake premixes, etc. Not necessary, just mix yourself.

However, some of you say it makes a difference to the finished result, which is interesting. I might have to experiment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2018 01:49AM by J1.
March 14, 2018 12:40AM
No idea why the recipes has icing sugar, but I have always included it.

Kind Regards

Anne Sutherland
March 19, 2018 09:42AM
AWESOME one less container in the pantry!!!

I always buy both, out of habit I guess BUT would much prefer to add the baking powder for the extra pantry space.

I dont even do that much baking - a cake and biscuits/slice once a month or pancakes.

So the general consensus is one teaspoon per cup plus a bit extra?

Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.