Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate

Posted by helen 
Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate
February 01, 2018 06:04AM
We have a young woman staying with us from the USA who wanted to find unsweetened bakers chocolate to make brownie.
I usually just buy Whittakers high cocoa count chocolate but do we actually have unsweetened chocolate that is widely available and mainstream pricing?
I did wonder if thats why we sometimes find US chocolate recipes too sweet, if we are adding sweetened chocolate plus the same amount of sugar.
Thoughts?
Re: Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate
February 01, 2018 06:32AM
No, we don't have unsweetened chocolate, at least not widely available. You can now buy it at Martha's Backyard (Bakers is the brand, rather than the style). It isn't listed on their website, but is usually in stock - you can always call and check and they can mail it out if needed... although shipping chocolate in this heat probably isn't wise!

It was a search for unsweetened chocolate that first brought me to Foodlovers many years ago smiling smiley

Usually US recipes state unsweetened chocolate if it is required, otherwise semisweet is the standard. The sub I use for unsweetened chocolate is for every ounce (28g) of unsweetened, I use 1.5oz (42g) of dark chocolate and subtract 1 tablespoon of sugar from the recipe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 06:34AM by Jenna.
February 01, 2018 07:46AM
Lindt 90% is pretty well unsweetened and is readily available.
February 22, 2018 07:33AM
How about Callebaud Dark Chocolate Callets - e.g. the 72%. would that work?
February 22, 2018 10:43AM
As I have slightly elevated blood glucose levels, I need to avoid sugar, so was keen to check out the Lindt 90% chocolate. It has 6.3 g sugar to 100 g, and when I was buying some I looked at the 70% bars, - as I recall they were about 30% sugar. So I'd agree that the 90% bar is a good option, and it certainly doesn't taste at all sweet.
February 25, 2018 10:43PM
Probably too late for your visitor but I am sure I bought some in Smith & Caughey some time ago,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.