Figs

Posted by otekaike 
Figs
March 05, 2018 11:02PM
Has anyone made fig chutney using green figs
I have lots of them not sure they will ripen a shame to waste them
Re: Figs
March 06, 2018 02:44AM
I have just picked figs for chutney and a salad tonight. The really ripe ones will go in the salad, those that would ripen by tomorrow (when the birds will start pecking at them) are going into a batch of chutney. They do have to show signs of ripening. Really green firm figs are bitter and I have read somewhere that like olives they have to be soaked/boiled in several changes of water. The birds are getting their share at the top of the tree.
March 06, 2018 10:45AM
Stephanie, have you got a nice chutney recipe you would be happy to share? My figs are particularly lovely and sweet this year. Must have to do with the great summer weather we've been having down here in Central Otago. There are only so many we can eat and lots of people don't seem to like them. I made fig jam last year with some of the surplus but won't do it this year because I've still got jars left over.
March 16, 2018 07:28AM
Only last night I had the most delicious entree at a cute little Italian restaurant with Green Figs stuffed with gorgonzola, on a bed of basil and rocket and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. I've never been a huge fan of Figs - but I may have changed my mind!
March 16, 2018 07:32AM
I love figs, and they make a very good salad. Try them with thinly sliced red onion and feta, with a little pomegranate molasses added to the vinaigrette.

I'm roasting figs and butternut right now and will serve them tepid with a pomegranate molasses vinaigrette.
March 16, 2018 12:23PM
TPANDAV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love figs, and they make a very good salad.
> Try them with thinly sliced red onion and feta,
> with a little pomegranate molasses added to the
> vinaigrette.
>
> I'm roasting figs and butternut right now and will
> serve them tepid with a pomegranate molasses
> vinaigrette.

TPANDAV, do you roast the butternut together with the figs for the time the butternut needs to get soft? Sounds an interesting recipe. Could you perhaps post the recipe here? Many thanks.
March 16, 2018 01:00PM
I sliced the butternut into about 1cm wedges, halved the figs and laid them on top. Drizzled with some olive oil and roasted 45 minutes at 180 C. I dressed the salad with more oil (a fruity Greek one) and some lemon juice, no need for anything else as the flavours were great together. Tomorrow I’ll add some feta to the leftovers.
March 17, 2018 02:01AM
I do this sort of thing daily although the figs are beginning to ferment on the tree now. I happen to have some fig vincotto which is lovely on them, I grill them, occasionally with blue cheese on top and add them to salads and roast vegetables, or with very ripe ones we eat them as a dessert, sliced, drizzled with a smidgen of honey, the vincotto and a spoonful of Greek yoghurt...delicious!
March 17, 2018 11:07AM
Thanks TPANDAV and. Stephanie for your recipes/suggestions. I've got a butternut in the pantry and will raid the fig tree tomorrow. When we have someone over for drinks at this time of the year I often serve figs. I make a deep cut in the figs that I have rubbed with olive oil, insert a slice of blue cheese and bake in the oven. With a little honey drizzled over it's a lovely little nibble.
March 20, 2018 06:44AM
This is a recipe from Virgil - way back, and I've slightly adapted the method. It's a Provencal fig and fish dish. To serve 2 saute firm-fleshed fish, lightly floured and seasoned, remove from pan and keep warm. Pour in 1 glass white wine, and add 5-6 red-fleshed figs, sliced, then simmer uncovered until liquid reduced. Add 1/2 cup kalamata olives (or sliced pickled walnuts), heat through. Put fish back in pan, spoon fig slices and olives or walnuts over, heat through. Serve with crusty bread.
March 20, 2018 09:19AM
Wow Karena, that sounds so yummy. I don't have red figs but mine should work as they are very tasty right now. Thanks for posting this. We had a salad today with sliced figs and feta added. Got the idea from this thread. That was good too. I also tried TPANDAV's butternut and fig idea. We enjoy that as well but I think I was a bit stingy with the olive oil.
March 24, 2018 12:26AM
Karena, I made your recipe last night.I used blue cod and figs from my garden, the brownish variety. Really nice and easy dish.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.