Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Where has all the gruyere gone?

Posted by helen 
Where has all the gruyere gone?
March 15, 2018 11:41PM
I went to buy Gruyere cheese this morning and in a supermarket full of gourmet cheese of every variety there was not as gruyere to be seen and no sign to indicate there is ever any there.
Has anyone else noticed this and have we stopped eating/buying gruyere?
Re: Where has all the gruyere gone?
March 15, 2018 11:55PM
Off the top of my head, isn't it a protected Swiss brand now, and no one can call their cheeses Gruyere any more (similar to Cornish pasties, Champagne, Devonshire Scones etc etc)?
March 16, 2018 12:35AM
I like Talbot Forest Gruyère, which to me is the closest NZ version to the real thing. I buy it at New World and saw some there yesterday.
March 16, 2018 04:04AM
Irene and TPANDAV are right. I remember reading an article about this about this well over a year ago. At the time I mentioned it to someone who is a cheesemaker. He was surprised to hear it but we never went into it in any depth. (You don't tend to do so at barbecues). I will ask him again if I get an opportunity.

Check out this older link from Foodlovers. [forum.foodlovers.co.nz]

I could be wrong but I also thought that Barrys Bay make it. I haven't seen it for a while but I have seen the Talbot Forest one.
March 16, 2018 06:10AM
Oh that is so funny, it has obviously taken me 3 ish years to notice its disappearance.
Interesting that Talbot Forest still label their cheese as Gruyere when potentially they could get into hot water over it.
I must look out for Swiss cheese instead.
March 17, 2018 12:11AM
I bought some Gruyere just before Christmas for our SeniorNet Christmas social. I bought it at Countown but can't remember the brand or price. I can remember that it was rather nice!
March 17, 2018 02:59AM
Kapiti (Fonterra) make a 'Gruyere style' cheese which is readily available in 125g wedges in supermarkets in my area. My guess is it's their old Gruyere rebranded to take into account the protected status of the name Gruyere. I haven't tried it as my staple cheese is their Te Horo Swiss Cheese which has only appeared commercially in 125g wedges in the past 12 mths or so. Prior to that it was only produced in 1kg blocks for the hospitality industry. I'm fortunate enough to live close to a Fonterra factory shop which, in addition to standard packaged Mainland or Kapiti cheeses, also sells over/underweight items which can't be onsold to retailers. Kikorangi half moons which are a couple of grams over or under the retail weight of 125g for +/- $3; Te Horo Swiss block which is under or over the target 1 kg for +/- $20. Cheese heaven.
Lynne2
March 19, 2018 09:45AM
Where is the Fonterra factory shop?
Sounds amazing!!!!

Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2018 10:28AM by Vanessa45.
March 20, 2018 01:03PM
The shop is attached to their production plant in Eltham, Taranaki, Vanessa.
Lynne2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.