Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Biltong

Posted by Vanessa45 
Biltong
April 27, 2018 10:20PM
This has become a school lunch fav snack amongst my 2 boys.
We have done the supermarket beef jerky and bought the $10 packets at the Meat Room. I have to ration the kids as its costing a fortune!!!
Im now Im wondering if I can make it myself.
Ive watched a few videos, looks easy enough BUT in real life is it?

I dont have the drying box but that doesnt look too hard to make/obtain.

I spoke to a South African friend who said its just easier to buy it.

Any ideas Foodlovers?

Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2018 10:20PM by Vanessa45.
Re: Biltong
May 02, 2018 12:28AM
My husband makes it. He was taught by a SA friend. It is not hard but you need to have room in the garage or similar where the drier can be left running. It isn't hard to do but ,like anything, it takes some experimentation.
May 05, 2018 06:25AM
Thanks Stephanie
I really dont have the space so I guess in the meantime, ill keep buying it. Ive discovered there are heaps of people actually making it so will experiment finding the one we like.
Vanessa
May 06, 2018 05:08AM
Can it be dried in something like a Sunbeam Harvest Drier? Or does it have to be hung to dry?
May 06, 2018 08:45AM
Its usually/traditionally hung so is left for numerous days.

I did once have a food drier/dehydrator and I made some amazing apple chips. Sadly it took quite some time and they were eaten in no time.

Vanessa
May 16, 2018 05:57AM
This recipe using the oven on a low heat overnight looks good. I have a Miele which has a dehydration function but this says you just set your oven at a really low temp 76 degrees c - a friend who is SA said they use Skirt Steak (I'm not sure how they make theirs). I thought this recipe looked straight forward, I know its for beef jerky but it's basically the same thing, maybe slightly different flavouring but you could use this method if it works for you. I think you could do a decent sized batch too. Seems you can stack your oven racks to do several layers.

[thehealthyfoodie.com]

Hmmm, just googled the difference between Biltong and Jerky and they are different but your boys might enjoy the jerky too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2018 06:02AM by Danube.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.