Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Low sugar jams

Posted by suzy 
Low sugar jams
May 15, 2018 10:26PM
Hi
I am wondering if anyone has a recipe for a low sugar jam using fruit juice ?
There are some on the market using pear juice that are lovely but typically for me I would really love to make my own.
I am not wanting recipes using any type of sugar alternatives like artificial sweeteners.
thanks in advance if anyone can help smiling smiley
Regards Suzanne
J1
Re: Low sugar jams
May 16, 2018 08:55AM
Instead of jam, you could use fresh or thawed frozen berries and mash them, doing that on the day you want "jam" or making enough to last 2-3 days if desired.
May 16, 2018 09:26AM
You could try a chia seed jam perhaps? Most recipes I've seen only use a small amount of sugar 1 or 2 tablespoons rather than the mountains of it in standard jam.
May 18, 2018 09:00AM
You might want to google Dr Oetker Gelfix . You use 1000g of fruit and 350g of sugar or 900 ml fruit juice and 350g sugar. I have made both apricot jam and plum jam and I found it very fruity because there is. It so much sugar in it. They have another product that will set your jam which uses even less sugar.
May 20, 2018 03:53AM
I have always made my jam with similar low sugar

I put 1kg fresh apricots after taking out stones then use 300 - 350 sugar (1/3 of sugar )
Not the standard 1 kg fruit to 1kg sugar
Far too sweet for me and not good for us, and I only like a tangy jam
I always make in m/wave, so no stirring needed like in a pot

I love apricot jam on crumpets and toast so make a lot in February and freeze in jars to last me till Dec

You do need to freeze this jam with so little sugar as it is more of a conserve than jam very fruity, but will last in frig for a few weeks, just not long term as full of sugar jam does

I also make strawb jam with this same m/wave method and low sugar
I freeze that also for scones or pikelets with jam/cream that I often make for morning teas for group hosting or to take somewhere
The jam is always raved about as so much flavour and fresh tasting and not sweet
May 22, 2018 12:04AM
If you are looking to reduce your sugar intake, fruit juice is also very high in fructose which is sugar. I do not think that replacing some sugar with fruit juice in a jam recipe is any "less sugar" so if you would like to make jam, use sugar. Certainly steer clear of any sugar replacements.
May 22, 2018 01:32AM
I tend to agree with Gran. If you are going to eat jam, accept that it is basically sugar, with little in the way of nutrients. If you want to reduce your sugar consumption then don't eat jam (or honey).
May 22, 2018 01:50AM
Are you also going down the less sugar route? No more home baking for me (boo hoo), spending more time in the supermarket reading labels. Am horrified to learn that the apple juice I so lovingly gave my grandsons is full of sugar!!
May 22, 2018 02:19AM
gran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you also going down the less sugar route?

I've been eating low carb and gluten-free for about eight years, so have been avoiding sugar and other sweeteners for a long time. I bake only for special occasions (maybe twice a year) and then it's usually a gluten-free almond chocolate cake. I don't miss sweet things but I do miss pastry, both making it and eating it!
May 22, 2018 04:49AM
gran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are looking to reduce your sugar intake,
> fruit juice is also very high in fructose which is
> sugar. I do not think that replacing some sugar
> with fruit juice in a jam recipe is any "less
> sugar" so if you would like to make jam, use
> sugar. Certainly steer clear of any sugar
> replacements.

Gran, the fruit juice I am referring to is the juice I get from boiling quinces to make quince jelly for example. Instead of equal quanties of juice to sugar I can use considerably less sugar when using gel fix which is a high pectin product that sets the fruit or juice. Setting a high sugar juice with even more sugar would defeat the purpose of course.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.