Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Packet Gravy for Roasts (lamb, chicken...)

Posted by J1 
J1
Packet Gravy for Roasts (lamb, chicken...)
May 22, 2018 07:33AM
If you had to use packet gravy for a roast, e.g. lamb leg or whole chicken, which one would you use and think is the best? Or a tin or box of something, or concoction of whatever is out there in supermarket land these days that can be used for gravy...
Re: Packet Gravy for Roasts (lamb, chicken...)
May 22, 2018 08:16AM
I use a packet by the Continental, I pour the fat out of the roasting pan, I deglaze the pan with wine (or apple juice works well for pork), add herbs and scrape up all the tasty bits, while boiling off the alcohol, then add the packet mix and the water and bring it all to the boil. Many people don't even realise I've used a packet when I do this.
May 23, 2018 10:52PM
I do same as Griz, it gives a more home made flavour also uses all those lovely bits up from the meat & a cleaner pan too towards the clean up.
May 24, 2018 03:11AM
I do much the same as you, Griz.
May 24, 2018 11:24PM
Don't use the fats but do use the water from par boiling the veggies, and add a little wine. I always add too much water then simmer it down. Last time pnly had one pkt left so added some french onion soup mix to a pkt of gravy and it was pretty good !
J1
May 25, 2018 10:30AM
Thanks for the helpful replies. Karen, thanks for mentioning the vegetable water - I know that's a good thing to do and just need to remember it!
May 25, 2018 11:20PM
I do very similar but find that the single sachets work better than the bulk bigger packets. I probably put too much powder in tho. I think the larger one is Bisto, not sure they do singles? I prefer the other brands - Continental and Maggie
I see you can get liquid gravy too - I havent tried though.

Vanessa
May 26, 2018 01:43AM
With the liquid gravy you're paying for water, which you have in your tap in abundance!
May 26, 2018 02:38PM
Ha Ha thanks Lorna, I just assumed it tasted better and was more like a flavoursome jus - I havent tried it yet - I wont bother now.

Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.