Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Okonomiyaki - cheap, tasty and easy!!

Posted by Cheese Lover 
Okonomiyaki - cheap, tasty and easy!!
June 11, 2018 02:02AM
I made these Japanese cabbage pancakes for the first time on Friday night and they ticked a few boxes

- made with readily available ingredients - eggs, cabbage, carrot and I subbed silver beet for kale
- popular with the teenagers and the parents
- quick and easy to make
- very affordable vegetarian recipe (I used fish sauce so mine were not vege but this could be adapted)
- cabbage is one vege that can linger in the fridge - so great to have another recipe using this vege.

I served with spring onions, lemon wedges and soya sauce but will add radish and bonito flakes next time too.

Obviously I am a late adopter here but does anyone else make these?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 02:04AM by Cheese Lover.
Re: Okonomiyaki - cheap, tasty and easy!!
June 11, 2018 02:32AM
I totally agree with you Cheese Lover my husband and I love these too. The recipe I use is an easy version containing prawns, cabbage, grated kumara etc bound together with rice flour and eggs. Truly delicious! smiling smiley It uses up a good quantity of cabbage and is topped with thin circles on each pancake of mayonnaise and hoisin sauce (which is my favourite Asian sauce).
Regards,
Dawn.
June 11, 2018 05:12AM
I've loved this when I've eaten it in restaurants but never tried it myself. I must have a go!
June 11, 2018 05:12AM
Oh that sounds good Dawn - I have one son that won't eat prawns but the other three of us like them. It is always good to have a few of these quick easy recipes in the bank for the days when food supplies are running low.
June 11, 2018 05:44AM
I found them very easy to make Carolyn. I will hunt out my recipe (it was from the latest Dish) but I suspect there are other similar versions.
June 11, 2018 07:31AM
They are positively delicious, a favourite of ours.
June 15, 2018 02:32PM
Thanks Cheese Lover, I get Dish so I will look for the recipe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.