Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Rice Cooker suggestions?

Posted by Irene Field 
Rice Cooker suggestions?
June 13, 2018 05:11AM
I currently have, actually make that had, a Z*p Rice Cooker. Have had it maybe 4 years tops and plugged it in last night and it has died a natural death without any notice.

I am not that happy purchasing the same brand again - plus it tended to cough and splutter and splash. I have found Kambrook via Kogan (AU shopping website), but the reviews for that are atrocious. Fly Buys only have a microwave one - but I prefer the keep warm feature once it's cooked, which you can't do with a microwave rice cooker.

There are various brands on Trademe... or I am tempted just to go to our Asian grocery shop and see if they have a no brand name Asian import.

Just wondered if anyone had any feedback on their models, ie steer clear of or love it. Would appreciate suggestions thanks
Re: Rice Cooker suggestions?
June 13, 2018 05:26AM
The imported Panasonic models used to be very good, costly though. That's what my local Asian store used to sell, rather than no name.

I see Panasonic are now selling them locally again, looks like the smaller DF range doesn't get good reviews, but the larger ZE does.

[www.harveynorman.co.nz]

[www.productreview.com.au]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 05:28AM by Jenna.
June 13, 2018 05:45AM
I had a Breville rice cooker similar to this one:

[www.applianceplus.co.nz]

It worked well once I'd got the quantity of liquid right (the manual specified an incorrect proportion). I think they are all pretty much of a muchness really, and I wouldn't spend big money on one.
June 13, 2018 05:50AM
Thanks Jenna, there actually was a Panasonic Fuzzy Logic one on Trademe brand new and buy now, and $40 less than Noel Leemings. And the reviews don't seem too bad either

I had to laugh last night as I put the water and rice into my now dead cooker. And it was stone cold 15 minutes later. Thank goodness I still have a Microwave Rice cooker - which I kept for cheesemaking. That was hit and miss, as I couldn't remember how long, how much water etc etc. So I really need to have another rice cooker that does it all for me smiling smiley
June 13, 2018 05:55AM
My Breville rice cooker is just fine. Like Tpandav says I wouldn't go spending much money on one either.
June 13, 2018 06:03AM
Irene, we have the K Mart home brand rice cooker - I think the brand is Homemaker. It is stainless steel with black trim so looks smart and does the job perfectly. It was so cheap, it wouldn't worry me if it died after a couple of years but it's still going smiling smiley
June 13, 2018 06:03AM
Thanks ladies. I think they all are much of a muchness. I am just too old school and expect appliances to last longer than they now do sad smiley
June 13, 2018 08:38AM
I have a Breville Fuzzy Logic similar to this one, but mine is an older version.
[breville.co.nz]

I've had it for around 4 years and I love it. It cooks not only rice, but many other grains and pulses, too. I do one-pot meals in it. I have got the Beth Hensberger & Julie Kaufman "The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook" and it has taught me so much about these useful appliances. It gives just about all the information you need, re various grains and legumes and the ratio of water used.
Just as an example, it has sections on sweet puddings and desserts, home made stock, vegetables, custards and steamed puddings, and much, much more. Over 350 pages of useful information to get the most out of your fuzzy logic rice cooker.
June 15, 2018 02:37PM
The brands I most often see recommended are Zojirushi and Tiger but I'm not sure if either is available in NZ. I got a Tiger one in Singapore, but to be honest I didn't feel the rice was any different to the rice I cook in a Pyrex dish in the microwave. One less device cluttering up my kitchensmiling smiley.
July 03, 2018 06:59AM
I’ve never used a rice cooker. Don’t really see the point as I’ve never had any issues cooking rice on the stove top. I just rinse my (long grain, usually basmati or jasmine)rice, cover it with water to my first finger joint in the pot. Put it on the stove and bring to the boil covered, then briefly stir with a fork, bring back to the boil, cover and turn off the heat and leave covered for 20-30 mins, then remove lid, cover with a towel for 10 mins or so. Fluff with fork. This is seperate but not free flowing, ie: it separates into small dry clumps which makes it easier to eat.
July 03, 2018 10:41PM
I, too, can cook rice to perfection using the stove-top method, but a rice cooker is so versatile it's a worthwhile appliance to own. I find it worth its weight in gold when going to a winter pot-luck dinner. My contribution can be cooked all in one appliance and it has a 'keep warm' facility that does keep the food hot for at least a couple of hours. It's already packed in an easy to carry and serve from container.
March 23, 2019 10:23PM
Mine's a Breville and although it's been superceded by later models since I bought it, I trust Breville appliances and whatever the latest model is, it will be worth the money you pay for it as long as you use it to its full potential, i.e. use it as more than just a rice cooker.

If you're into cooking food such as barley, buckwheat, chickpeas, lentils, etc, etc, it becomes very valuable. You can set the cooker to heat up while you chop vegetables and cut up any meat, then brown the meat and fry the onions in the pot before adding other ingredients, closing the lid and getting on with other things (or taking a break to watch TV) while the rice cooker 'does its thing'.

It can make porridges, pilaus, risottos, fruit desserts, steamed puddings and custards. You can also steam vegetables in the steamer which sits above the other ingredients, rather than an 'all in one' mixture.

I love my rice cooker.

Oh, I nearly forgot: I invested also in a book that gives instant access to literally hundreds of recipes and even more ideas and ways to use your rice cooker. OK, it's American, but most of it still applies to NZ cooks. It's Beth Henspergers The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook and it's currently available from the Book Depository for the paperback version at $NZ25.91 with free postage. 368 pages of rice cooker wisdom. That's less than 1c per page!! OK, you've got Google, but there're times when it's nice to have information instantly to hand and transportable to where ever you happen to be sitting or standing in your home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2019 10:31PM by Lorna.
March 23, 2019 11:33PM
I actually never bothered purchasing a new one. I found a recipe for cooking rice on the stove top, using an absorption method, and the liquid is comprised of water and coconut milk. The rice is beautiful and supersedes the rice cooker method
March 28, 2019 12:40AM
The boil in the bag ones are really easy with fluffy results. Could add coconut milk to the water, actually that is a good idea.
May 14, 2019 10:53AM
Mine is a Kambrook Rice Express - smallish and Ive had it YEARS! I dont use it all the time but it hasnt failed me yet.
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.