Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Where do you store your Vegemite and Marmite?

Posted by Dawn 
Where do you store your Vegemite and Marmite?
August 26, 2018 02:49AM
I saw this article [www.bhg.com.au] which says it should be stored in the pantry. That's where I store my Vegemite and Marmite. What do others do?

(Footnote: In the article I do not agree with calling the housemate who stores it on the bench a 'slob'. Maybe it was written tongue in cheek?)
Regards,
Dawn.
Edited to correct wording as I had inadvertently written 'fridge' when it should have been 'bench'!eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 11:04PM by Dawn.
Re: Where do you store your Vegemite and Marmite?
August 26, 2018 03:27AM
In the pantry. It doesn't need refrigeration. We rarely eat it so one jar lasts a long time here and it doesn't deteriorate.
August 26, 2018 03:46AM
Pantry.
August 26, 2018 04:58AM
Pantry
August 26, 2018 07:33AM
In the pantry (but it's Promite!)eye rolling smiley
August 26, 2018 07:47AM
Ha ha - that's allowed Stephanie39, but I don't think anyone is going to admit they leave it on the bench top!
D.
Edited to add: What is different about Promite to the other two I wonder? I have never seen Promite itself and I think Marmite is a heavier taste and consistency than Vegemite, so where does Promite fit into the broader picture?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2018 07:51AM by Dawn.
August 26, 2018 09:24AM
Definitely in the pantry.
August 26, 2018 10:21AM
Pantry
August 26, 2018 11:49AM
Pantry
August 26, 2018 03:16PM
Pantry
August 27, 2018 12:22AM
It's always available, Dawn, alongside the other two. It's lighter, softer, possibly sweeter. and to our taste infinitely better! No one sits on the fence (do they?) on this topic and we gag on the other two!
August 27, 2018 01:10AM
Thanks Stephanie I will get a jar of Promite to try. My husband has a spread on his slice of bread for breakfast most mornings, but it's Vegemite I prefer because I think it's lighter.

I've just looked up the difference between P/mite, V/mite and M/mite and found this [www.stuff.co.nz]. In the popularity stakes (of only 15 people tested) it says Marmite was the least popular. It also said Promite contains less yeast extract and more salt and sugar than the other two. However, that said, you only need a scraping on your bread or toast anyway, so not such an issue.
Regards,
Dawn.
August 27, 2018 02:11AM
Thanks for that. Dawn, interesting. We don't use it very often but I must consciously use less when I have Avocado and promite toast for breakfast, having developed hbp.
August 27, 2018 12:42PM
Yes it was an interesting article...........but I wouldn't worry about using less, the ingredient differences are probably so insignificant against the other 2 speads and any of them can only be used in moderation as they are so strong in flavour! I say, eat it with avocado and enjoy it!!smiling smiley
D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 12:43PM by Dawn.
August 27, 2018 01:05PM
In our house the Vegemite sits out on the bench alongside the Nigella butter crock. It along with the garlic crusher seem to get taken out to use more than they are returned to their rightful spot in the cupboard. The peanut butter comes and goes from the pantry to a spot next to the Vegemite but that's because the dog likes a slather on his venison ears (actually he likes Vegemite just as much, and both is better!) It's one of those can't live without things for me. In our household there's my husband, me and our grownup children and one new baby who visit frequently, and it's been interesting over the years with the Vegemite vs Marmite war. Both of our sons in law are Marmite boys and given the choice (you have to get up from the breakfast table and retrieve Marmite from the pantry, because the Vegemite is on the table already) they will choose Marmite. Our girls and son however find Marmite too sweet and dark. Interestingly as a child my family only had Marmite and it wasn't until my teens and staying at girlfriends houses and later traveling to Australia that my passion and preference for Vegemite emerged. As to the question..... it gets put away only when quests arrive and the benches are swept clean and only a gorgeous jug of fresh herbs is on display but a day or so later its back on the bench until the next visitors roll in.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2018 12:14PM by Danube.
August 27, 2018 11:26PM
Danube, I read your entry above with a big smile on my face! winking smiley Good on you for being so honest about leaving your vegemite sitting on the bench, and why not when it's convenient and in demand so often? It's certainly not a sin and I love what you described about your bench before visitors roll in! I can (and certainly many others will too) relate to this type of necessary transformation before visitors arrive. Your doggy has good tastes too! I also remember only marmite in the house when I was a child and can remember enjoying sipping on a mug of marmite dissolved in hot water on cold winters days.
Regards,
Dawn.
August 27, 2018 11:46PM
Such a vivid picture, Danube! It made me smile too. Although I am worrying about too much salt for your dog and even more about peanut buttery vegemitey dribble when he scruffles his face everywhere afterwards. See how you have involved us in your life!
August 28, 2018 02:26AM
A heathen here. I can't tell the difference between Vegemite and Marmite. I got up out of my chair just now to go and check just in case my taste-buds have improved, but no, a teeny bit of the end of a spoon of V then a drink of water and the same with the M. I still can't taste the difference. I suppose if I ate one regularly on toast every morning for 6 months I might noice the difference. Six months of Vegemite then try the Marmite and who knows?? Quite frankly I don't care. They've both sat in the pantry for far too long.
August 28, 2018 06:29AM
Pantry here in Adelaide
August 30, 2018 05:41AM
I alway store mine in the pantry ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.