Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

drop in global butter price

Posted by Plates 
drop in global butter price
September 02, 2018 12:09AM
[www.globaldairytrade.info]

Generally there has been a drop in the butter price since May 18. Why nothing at the supermarket?
Re: drop in global butter price
September 02, 2018 06:26AM
Yes I agree - this morning at our local SM, one brand was $7.00 for 500 grams. No baking this week!!
September 02, 2018 10:58PM
I'm a bit cynical. The supermarkets will respond to your question, Plates, with something like they purchased their current stock of butter while prices were still high so cannot pass on any cost benefit to the customer until new stock is on the shelves. Of course, it's the other way when prices go up - they've already sold all their stock so this is new stock arriving on the shelves. Same with petrol.

And I think I mentioned before my pet hate about some supermarket specials. Big, bright 'Special Price' labels over the top of the usual label. Lift the 'special' label and the normal price beneath is exactly the same!

And meat on meat trays,well wrapped with cling-film. The visible top part is well trimmed. Get the meat home, open the pack and the other side of the meat that can't be seen till unpacked is thick layers of fat and/or skin. So deceitful!
September 03, 2018 02:23AM
>Lorna Wrote:
> And I think I mentioned before my pet hate about
> some supermarket specials. Big, bright 'Special
> Price' labels over the top of the usual label.
> Lift the 'special' label and the normal price
> beneath is exactly the same!

If you see this, take a photo, and contact the consumer people. It's a breach of the fair trading act and has substantial fines attached to it. Last time I found it, I contacted the store manager via email. They conducted a full pricing audit and was profusely apologetic. I haven't seen an instance of it since at our local. I don't check everything, but I do spot check things from time to time.
September 03, 2018 03:10AM
networkn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >Lorna Wrote:
> > And I think I mentioned before my pet hate
> about
> > some supermarket specials. Big, bright
> 'Special
> > Price' labels over the top of the usual label.
> > Lift the 'special' label and the normal price
> > beneath is exactly the same!
>
> If you see this, take a photo, and contact the
> consumer people. It's a breach of the fair trading
> act and has substantial fines attached to it. Last
> time I found it, I contacted the store manager via
> email. They conducted a full pricing audit and was
> profusely apologetic. I haven't seen an instance
> of it since at our local. I don't check
> everything, but I do spot check things from time
> to time.

Thanks for the advice. I have come across this as well in my local NW.
September 03, 2018 09:27AM
I have taken a photo and messaged it to the supermarket's facebook page (private message) and they've always put it right.
September 03, 2018 09:32AM
The media always seem to report the butter price when its high and the Global price is rising along with the supermarket price, but in the scenario where its dropping auction after auction, I wonder there are no reports to explain.
September 04, 2018 01:33AM
Griz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have taken a photo and messaged it to the
> supermarket's facebook page (private message) and
> they've always put it right.

Personally, if it happens repeatedly, I'd lodge a formal complaint. Some organizations are inclined to solve per incident when it's noticed and allow the practice to continue behind the scenes, but a proper complaint requires filing, and if it continues and ends up a com com complaint and an investigation finds they were repeatedly told of the issue and did nothing to fix it properly, then the punishment is much higher.
September 04, 2018 12:53PM
I agree with you Networkin, but I must admit if the problem is consistent I just vote with my feet, and tell everyone I know not to shop there. I just can't be bothered with the effort of a formal complaint.
September 05, 2018 09:42AM
You can make commerce commission complaint online. Its very easy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.