Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Favourite slice recipe?

Posted by Jenna 
Favourite slice recipe?
September 02, 2018 07:55AM
I've got to make 14 slices this week for my son's hockey trip next week. I'm just going to make 2 batches of 7 recipes. No way can I come up with 14 different recipes that are actually nice.

It's got to be able to keep for up to a week out of the fridge, which pretty much rules out any of the uncooked slices or the lovely lemon curd type.

So far I've got:

Chocolate brownie
Chocolate caramel oat slice
Raspberry oat slice
Magic bars
Afghan slice

I'm really struggling to come up with 2 more - preferably not chocolate based though.

Any ideas?
Re: Favourite slice recipe?
September 02, 2018 08:12AM
Anzac biscuit mixture works well as a slice and it keeps very well. You will need to mark it into bars before it is completely cool.
J1
September 02, 2018 08:53AM
I really hesitate to give my first suggestion as it's so sweet and I always personally loathed it but my sister LOVED it and was always making it in our childhood home:

Rice Bubble Squares
4oz butter
2 dessertspoons honey
1 cup sugar
4 cups rice bubbles

Melt butter, honey and sugar. Boil 3-6 minutes until golden. (But note attached to recipe says "Just melt – don’t leave on stove" ). Stir into rice bubbles. Place in slice tin.

Other suggestions (all ones I used to make):

Anzac Slice (a favourite with children I used to make it for)
250g flour
300g sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup sultanas
200g butter
2 tbspns golden syrup
1 tspn baking soda
4 tbspns boiling water

Mix together flour, sugar, coconut, rolled oats and sultanas. Melt butter and golden syrup. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water, add butter and golden syrup. Mix everything together and place in a slice dish and press. Bake at 180°C for approx. 20 minutes, or until golden. Slice while warm.

Anzac Ginger Crunch
Gretchen's recipe April 2011 NZ Hottest Home Baker TV programme recipe

Base:
150g butter
3 tbspns golden syrup
¾ cup (120g) brown sugar
¾ cup (105g) wholemeal flour
2 tspns baking powder
1½ cups (135g) rolled oats
3 tspns ground ginger
¾ cup (75g) thread coconut
1 cup (150g) chopped crystallised ginger

Icing:
120g butter
7 tbspns (105g) golden syrup
2½ cups (337g) icing sugar
3 tspns ground ginger

Topping:
100g walnuts or pistachios, chopped

Preheat oven to 200C. Melt butter, golden syrup and sugar in a large pot. Add remaining base ingredients and press into a 20x30cm slice tin lined with baking paper. Bake for 20 minutes until firm to touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool for approximately 10 minutes.

To make icing, melt butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat. Remove from heat and mix in icing sugar and ginger.

When base is cool, pour on icing and spread evenly. Sprinkle with walnuts or pistachios. Cut when set (can be set faster by putting in fridge for awhile)

Also this Takaka Oaty Ginger Crunch recipe in the foodlovers recipe section [www.foodlovers.co.nz]

Aunty Alice’s Tower Squares ( a very old recipe, kind of like sultana cake)
125g butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 dessertspoon golden syrup
1 cup sultanas
2 cups plain flour
2 tspns baking powder

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, beat in with golden syrup. Fold sultanas into one cup of flour to coat. Add to creamed mixture with extra cup and baking powder. Place in slice tin and bake at 160°C for 30 minutes. When cool, ice and sprinkle with toasted shredded coconut.

Franz Square
From a 1960s school recipe book (I have a note to watch the cooking time on this one)
4oz butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1½ cups flour
1 tspn baking powder
pinch salt
raspberry jam (at least ¼ cup)

Topping:
3oz desiccated coconut
2oz sugar
1oz butter
1oz cocoa powder
½ tspn vanilla essence

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Add sifted flour, baking powder and salt and stir to combine. Press into slice tin. Spread with jam. Place all topping ingredients in a saucepan. Heat slowly until moist. Spread on top of jam. Bake at 180°C for 35 minutes.

Golden Tans
6oz butter (170g)
3oz sugar (85g)
10oz flour (285g)

Topping:
2oz butter (56.7g)
1 tbspn golden syrup
½ tin sweetened condensed milk
1 dspn cocoa powder

Cream butter and sugar. Add flour. Press three-quarters of the mixture into a slice tin. In a saucepan, melt topping butter and golden syrup. Stir in condensed milk and cocoa. Just heat mixture enough to blend ingredients. Pour over base. Crumble rest of mixture on top. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes.

The following slice is delicious but it's quite moist so it would need to be one of the slices eaten early on rather than left until the end of the week.
Pumpkin Orange Slice
100g butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup cooked, cold, mashed pumpkin
grated rind of 1 orange
¼ cup orange juice
½ cup rolled oats
1 cup flour
2 tspns baking powder

Cream butter and sugar. Mix in pumpkin, orange rind, orange juice and rolled oats. Sift flour and baking powder over and stir to combine. Spread into a slice tin. Bake at 180°C for 30 minutes (or 160°C fanbake for 30 mins). Cool in tin, cut into squares.

Also, remember Louise Cake.
September 02, 2018 09:07AM
Excellent, thank you both. I think an Anzac Slice and the Golden Tan might be it. I had considered Louise Cake, but didn't know how well the meringue would hold up.
September 02, 2018 10:05PM
I haven’t got anything to add, but just wanted to commend J1 for taking the time to type out all those recipes.

That’s what Foodlovers is all about.
J1
September 02, 2018 10:14PM
Thanks Ali smiling smiley. I have all recipes in a document on my computer so it's mostly cut and paste but the document has the ingredients in two columns so I do spend time tidying that up when I paste them into foodlovers smiling smiley.
September 02, 2018 10:30PM
All my recipes are on my computer, too, but I use One Note. For posting on here I just copy and paste and if I want to email a recipe, I can send it straight from OneNote to an email, complete with the accompanying picture and my additional notes, if any. I love OneNote!

Oh, and I should also say that I have a little two-in-one laptop/tablet that also has One-Note synced with my main laptop, so when i want to have the recipe on the bench in the kitchen, the little machine takes up very little room.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 10:36PM by Lorna.
September 02, 2018 10:37PM
Don't forget Ginger Crunch, Jenna.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
September 03, 2018 01:16AM
Lemon Slice

[www.foodlovers.co.nz]

Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2018 01:19AM by Vanessa45.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.