Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Kewpie dressing

Posted by Memmi 
Kewpie dressing
September 22, 2018 05:21AM
This morning on Radio Live I heard Helen talking bout Kewpie dressing. It took my fancy and I went out and bought some. Now I have it at home I have forgotten what she said it was good for! I think she said it was a good dressing over cold broccoli and beans, but there was something else. Can anyone help me with this please! Thank you.
Re: Kewpie dressing
September 22, 2018 05:46AM
I've never bought any myself, but as far as I know Kewpie is Japanese mayonnaise - like our mayonnaise but sweeter. So I guess anything you'd put mayonnaise on you can put Kewpie on.

Edit: I should clarify this a bit. Although a lot of people think Kewpie tastes sweeter than French-style mayo, it doesn't have any sugar in it. It uses egg yolks instead of whole eggs, the vinegar is different, and it has MSG in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2018 06:11AM by CarolynC.
September 22, 2018 06:59AM
Thanks Carolyn
September 22, 2018 07:31AM
In addition to their generally well known mayonnaise, Kewpie also make a sesame dressing, which is probably what Helen was referring to. I haven't tried it but have been tempted several times. There are plenty of ideas for its use here: [www.kewpie.co.jp]
Lynne2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2018 07:36AM by Lynne2.
September 24, 2018 10:05AM
Thank you Lyne. It was the sesame dressing that Helen was talking about. Have tried it over a stirfry and it was very nice, but wish I could remember what Helen had used it for.
October 05, 2018 10:53PM
Oops sorry I haven't got to this yet.
Kewpie sesame dressing is great on Asian style coleslaws.
I also use it on char-grilled broccoli, steamed greens, drizzled over fried chicken etc...
October 12, 2018 11:23PM
Ohhh the Asian sesame dressing is amazing like Helen said, on slaws. You can buy it but quite expensive for a small amount.

I didnt realise it was made with Kewpie mayo, I always thought it was just the brand with the cute baby logo.
It also reminded me of the Kewpie doll which I assume was where the logo came from.

Serve it on chicken, fish or hot chips, that would be delicious.
Vanessa
October 14, 2018 12:20PM
Good ideas Helen, thank you very much
October 14, 2018 12:22PM
Vanessa, the first bottle I bought from an Asian supermarket was quite expensive, then last week I visited a Bin Inn and they had various brands of the Sesame flavoured one at less than half of what I had paid earlier and it is just as good.
October 15, 2018 04:24AM
I have used the mayonnaise for quite some time now & have always liked it now I shall try the sesame one. Thanks Helen.
I too remember the Kewpie doll I had several as my grandmother loved to make outfits for them, they always looked quite fashionable. Also I remember them being put onto a long stick with a hook to be carried around the hook like Little Miss Bo Peep had.. I think I am showing my age here . Ha ha
October 16, 2018 01:51AM
LOL Im showing my age too, I remember making beds for them with cotton wool and match boxes - Oh the simple things ;-)
Thanks for the Bin Inn tip too, you really do need to shop around theses days.
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.