Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

What oil please?

Posted by marylew 
What oil please?
November 25, 2018 08:07AM
I am making a mayonnaise that needs oil in it What can anyone recommend please.I want it to last in jars for a week or two Thanks.
Re: What oil please?
November 25, 2018 10:48AM
A good quality extra virgin olive oil such as Village Press or Matapiro. Mayonnaise somehow accentuates the flavour of the oil, so you need to use a good one.

It is important to balance the salt and the acidity (lemon juice) by tasting and adjusting until it is in balance.
November 25, 2018 07:44PM
Thanks Tpandav,I have just reread the recipe and it has garlic and oil in it and I am wondering now if it is a garlic aioli.Do you still recommend the same oil? or would a canola do.Thanks for your advice you have recommended the Village Press before and I wrote that out somewhere and will buy some to have in the pantry anyway.
November 25, 2018 10:34PM
I never use canola oil. It has no flavour and it is highly processed, just as inflammation-promoting as any other highly refined seed oil.
November 26, 2018 12:46AM
Thank you Tpandav I will buy good quality in future.
November 26, 2018 03:18AM
There is a debate going on about Canola oil, and if it is good or bad for you. If you google the following
Is Canola Oil good or bad for you
you can read both sides of the argument, and decide for yourself.

Whilst I don't buy it myself as we prefer Grapeseed Oil (also supposedly bad), in the end Canola oil is derived from the seeds of the Canola plant

Peter Gordon recommends in this NZ Herald article to use 30% Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 70% Sunflower or Canola OIl. So I guess it comes down to personal preferences and taste?
November 26, 2018 03:24AM
Here is a link to some information about canola oil. [perfectketo.com]
November 26, 2018 03:50AM
Which is exactly the point I am making. According to the Bible of Google, some say it is bad and some say it is good. So it comes down to being a personal decision and which you choose to believe.
November 26, 2018 05:18AM
I'm always suspicious about internet articles which mentions "studies" "research" etc but doesn't provide a link so you can follow up and read the original research. I don't believe perfectketo.com is a recognised academic source of information either. Each to their own, but I use canola oil when I don't want a highly flavoured oil, which is often what I prefer when making a mayonnaise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2018 05:19AM by Griz.
November 26, 2018 06:41AM
Thanks Irene and Griz.This has got me thinking now if the mayonnaise is actually a garlic aioli do you taste the oil?I use Canola oil a lot but want this recipe to last at least a week and taste good.I want to make quite a few jars and considered the cost of canola against what I thought a more suitable oil,if any would cost me.I will experiment and make half Canola and half extra virgin olive oil.
November 26, 2018 09:08AM
its worth thinking about they are made. Cold pressed olive or some highly engineered process. You could make olive oil at home. Cant get canola without a lab.
November 26, 2018 09:12AM
I use both and a couple of others as well.
November 26, 2018 11:10AM
I used olive oil every time when making mayo - I love the flavour - the better the oil, the more delicious the flavour. I add lots of lemon juice too
Ive used a basic olive oil as well as the more luxury virgin olive oil brands - both delicious.
I agree - a matter of taste and how its going to be used.

Does anyone know how long it lasts in the fridge?

Vanessa
November 26, 2018 12:11PM
One of the things I don't like about using all Olive oil is the colour, the mayo is very yellow, I used to think it was because I use free range eggs but I have found if you use Peter Gordon's recipe you get a nicer flavour and colour - for me anyway all Olive oil is too much. On the eggs, I've noticed that all eggs seem to have very uniformly bright coloured yolks now whereas with your own chickens some can be yellow and some more orange depending on the hen.
November 26, 2018 10:05PM
Vanessa45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used olive oil every time when making mayo - I
> love the flavour - the better the oil, the more
> delicious the flavour. I add lots of lemon juice
> too
> Ive used a basic olive oil as well as the more
> luxury virgin olive oil brands - both delicious.
> I agree - a matter of taste and how its going to
> be used.
>
> Does anyone know how long it lasts in the
> fridge?

>
> Vanessa

Classic mayonnaise lasts for several weeks in the fridge - cover it with cling film pressed down on the surface to stop it forming a crust. Mayo with raw garlic lasts maybe 5 days then the garlic gets stale. Mayo with roasted garlic lasts maybe two weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2018 10:06PM by TPANDAV.
November 26, 2018 10:34PM
I haven't made mayo for a long time - the oil is super important. Made with all EVOO the flavour will be quite strong so if you like that you will love it - a mix of olive and a bland oil will make for a milder flavour.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.