Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Home made vanilla essence

Posted by Ali W 
Home made vanilla essence
November 26, 2018 08:31PM
Has anyone made this? Too late for this year but I will definitely put it on the gift list for next Christmas.

Just read an article about it and it seems to be just vodka and vanilla beans that have been split, glass bottles, away from the light, shake gently daily then wait 2 weeks but 6 is better before using.

Seems too easy. Any tips?

I guess Arthur Holmes is still the best source for bottles of all sizes.
Re: Home made vanilla essence
November 26, 2018 08:42PM
Hi Ali. I have and that is the exact instructions - but I think I only shook once a week?
November 26, 2018 09:24PM
Had another read Irene - after I cleaned my glasses! It said “put the bottle where you can see it - but away from the light and give it a gentle shake each time you notice it”

I guess that is fairly loose, but as long as it is gently shaken now and then.
November 26, 2018 11:27PM
I make a litre of vanilla every few years. A bottle of the cheapest real vodka I can find, and 10 split and scraped vanilla beans. Once you've made one, make another within a few months for when the original runs out. This way the second bottle will get to sit for a lot longer and the flavour will be better than the first, which you'll probably not be able to leave for a few months before using.
November 27, 2018 08:42AM
Its well worth it. Never buy again.
J1
November 28, 2018 05:47AM
I've taste tested quite a lot of vanilla essences/extracts and most of them taste pretty awful, which makes me wonder what they're contributing flavour-wise to the the recipe I'm adding them to. Possibly tasting them "straight" isn't the best way to sample their flavour....I don't know... plus I have the problem of not liking alcohol flavour, which is mostly what they seem to taste of (or like some chemical cleaner). So I don't think making my own would give me anything I'm happy with either, since it involves a lot of alcohol. BUT, recently I bought Hansells Natural Vanilla Extract with Seeds and it's delicious! First delicious one ever. it contains: Invert Sugar Syrup, Natural Vanilla Extract (Water, Alcohol* (12%), Vanilla Seeds (1%)) * Alcohol Content 12%

I guess the sugar syrup takes away the harshness of the alcohol. [shop.countdown.co.nz]

You can also get a Tongan vanilla origin version [shop.countdown.co.nz]
Ingredients:Vava'u Vanilla Bean Extract With Vanilla Seeds (Invert Syrup, Alcohol*, Water, Vanilla Bean Extractives, Vanilla Seeds) *20% Volume
Re: Home made vanilla essence - Truffle salt and Truffle oil
November 28, 2018 12:54PM
www.trufflenz.co.nz

Truffle oil and salt seller

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2018 12:55PM by anna1354.
December 02, 2018 05:39AM
I always have a bottle of homemade vanilla in the pantry.
Just vodka and split vanilla pods.
I don't scrape out the seeds as feel that they will loosen and disperse once the pod is split and they are immersed in vodka.
Currently I need to make more and need to research where to buy pods from that are not price prohibitive and not cheap and dry.
December 02, 2018 06:14AM
Helen, if you have your own business and can get an account at Gilmours I get my vanilla pods there. My sister needed to get about 40 pods for a fragrance photo shoot and they had the best quality for the best price to buy in a decent volume. They carry two brands from memory, one more expensive than the other. The ones we got were excellent though.
December 02, 2018 09:26PM
Oh that is great news, thanks Danube.
I will go there today.
I have had a card in the past so hoping it is still active.
December 02, 2018 09:27PM
Oh and if anyone else would like me to get them pods at Gilmours then I am happy to do so.
Can just post them on.
December 03, 2018 12:31AM
What a lovely gesture Helen.
December 03, 2018 03:27AM
Goodness our PM system is dire. Sorry!
I get a message to tell me that I have a message re vanilla beans but when I go to read it there is nothing there.
So sorry if I am not responding.
If you would like me to get you vanilla beans then please email me helen@foodlovers.co.nz
I think it takes about 10 pods per 1125 vodka but can buy whatever you need.
December 03, 2018 08:59AM
Bidfood have them - 10 for $54+gst.
I will check out Gilmours price tomorrow.
December 03, 2018 12:09PM
Yikes. The last time I bought pods, in Dec 2015, they were 10 for $22! They were nice too - fat and moist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 12:09PM by Jenna.
December 04, 2018 03:11AM
I phoned Gilmours and they are $14+ GSt for 10g.
None of these prices look very competitive.
10g is probably 2 pods..,
December 04, 2018 05:01AM
Ah, there was a cyclone in Madagascar in March this year which destroyed a lot of the plants = short supply = rising prices

[www.wideopeneats.com]
December 07, 2018 10:52PM
Wow, that price doesn't sound good. The bags we got had about 20 pods in them and we got two bags though I just can't remember the price it certainly wasn't $14 for 2 pods! That's more expensive than New World.
December 07, 2018 11:06PM
Out of interest I called the Gilmours branch I go to and they confirmed that 50g which is about 7 pods is $89+GST and their own brand (which I think I got last time) is 100g and around 25 pods for $139 + GST. OMG the price seems to have more than doubled, I certainly didn't have to pay that. The 10g packs are $14 and only have 2 pods in them. Jenna, you are correct I think. Something else that has changed is they said they no longer keep them on the shelf anymore they are so expensive you have to go and ask for them at customer services where as previously they have always just been in with the other spices. Sad timessad smiley
December 07, 2018 11:27PM
At this rate I might just drink the vodka and buy good quality essence.drinking smiley
December 08, 2018 12:51AM
I think you may be onto a good plan there, Chris!
December 09, 2018 06:08AM
They do have quite large bottles of Heilala Vanilla
400ml/500ml
1035682 Extract 1035684 Paste
$66.90 + GST on their catalogue this week. With the price of pods........
January 11, 2019 07:15AM
Helen, what did you buy in the end. I need to start a new bottle off. Am going to do using a 1ltr bottle of vodka.
January 11, 2019 07:38AM
I filled a small glass bottle (sauce, I think), with vodka, and every time I use a vanilla pod I pop it into the bottle. I rinse it off if necessary and I don't worry about the seeds. I use what I need then top it up with more vodka. So far it's lasted about 10 years!

Marie
January 11, 2019 07:47AM
Not Helen, obviously, but personally I decided to wait out the current vanilla bean shortage and bought some Heilala paste to use in the interim. Hopefully the supply recovers within a year or so. The cost of 10+ beans, plus a litre of vodka -- over $100 -- just isn't worth it to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 07:48AM by Jenna.
January 11, 2019 08:19AM
How much would 10 vanilla pods cost? Even if the whole thing is $100, thats $10 per 100 mls. On the heilala site, 100 mls is 33 NZD. Certainly the cost is not ideal, but to me its got 2 ingredients and no additives which outweighs the upfront cost.
January 11, 2019 11:57AM
Helen posted above that Gimours is selling approx 7 of their branded pods for $102 incl GST. Then $30-40 for the vodka.
January 11, 2019 12:30PM
Mariee, I love your idea, going to start this off tomorrow!
February 06, 2019 01:22AM
I think we're all waiting for the world wide shortage to be over! I don't split my pods. Just bung them in a jar of vodka. I don't even shake it. The longer its there, the darker it gets. As I use it, I just top it up with more vodka. I think I had three or four pods in a Teasla (?) tea drink bottle. I did a new lot this year (fortunately I had some vanilla pods) as the old lot had been going for two or three years. I used the old vodka soaked pods to make vanilla paste. Probably not as strong as it could be for obvious reasons, but I just use an extra spoonful.
Jan
February 27, 2019 12:11AM
I have been making vanilla essence for approx 6 years now I just keep the same beans and top up the bottle up with vodka occasionally, still using the original beans occasionally I add another bean, however I’m struggling to find a source of reasonably priced beans used to be able to get of trade me reasonably priced but not anymore
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.