Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Rhubarb chutney

Posted by Kayc 
Rhubarb chutney
March 13, 2019 03:10AM
Just wondering if anyone has made rhubarb chutney and if so is it worthwhile making. I have heaps of rhubarb which is just going to waste but I've never heard of it being made into a chutney before.
Re: Rhubarb chutney
March 13, 2019 06:20AM
I have made it and enjoyed it. The recipe is in Sally Wise's book A Year in a Bottle. Am I allowed to print it here?
March 13, 2019 06:40AM
Hi Ali, I would love to have the recipe if it isn't too much trouble. If it isn't allowed to be printed here, maybe you could PM it to me as I would love to have a tried and enjoyed recipe rather than one I found online. Thanks for you help.
March 13, 2019 06:49AM
I make a rhubarb and date chutney which is really nice. I also have a recipe from the Country Women's Institute recipe book that I copied but have not made yet. It's a pear, rhubarb and cinnamon chutney. Please let me know if you are interested.
March 13, 2019 07:01AM
Have sent a PM
March 14, 2019 05:01AM
Thank you Ali, your recipe sounds nice so will try that one. Chris I would love your recipe for the Date and Rhubarb chutney as I love dates and have so much rhubarb that I can make a variety of different chutney recipes :-)
March 14, 2019 09:54PM
Kayc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you Ali, your recipe sounds nice so will try
> that one. Chris I would love your recipe for the
> Date and Rhubarb chutney as I love dates and have
> so much rhubarb that I can make a variety of
> different chutney recipes :-)

Kaye, will PM you tonight.
March 16, 2019 01:36AM
I also have a recipe for Rhubarb and rose water curd if you are interested. It is beautifully fragrant and lovely on scones, toast, pikelets etc.
March 16, 2019 04:34AM
I would like the recipe for rhubarb and rose water curd Ali, i have a bottle of rose water in the pantry that i have no idea what to use it in so that would be one way :-) Thank you
March 16, 2019 04:54AM
Have P M,d you,

Rose water is lovely in meringues- swirl a little pink colouring through them - especially nice for Mother's Day,
March 16, 2019 06:58AM
Ali W Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also have a recipe for Rhubarb and rose water
> curd if you are interested. It is beautifully
> fragrant and lovely on scones, toast, pikelets
> etc.

Ali, I would also love to give your recipe a try as I have plenty of rhubarb and also got a bottle of rose water that I typically use for flavouring marzipan for my Christmas stollen. At the rate I am going with that I don’t have a hope of using it up.
March 16, 2019 08:01AM
Here it is,,,from Cuisine magazine....I hope I am not in trouble.

2 big stalks rhubarb ( 200 grams) ends trimmed & finely chopped)
3/4 cup raw sugar
2 large eggs
25g butter - cubed

Combine rhubarb with 1/4 cup of the sugar and 1/4 cup water, bring to the boil, partly covered. Reduce to a simmer and cook 5-8 mins or until tender. Set aside 5 minutes to cool slightly. Put into a blender and whizz till smooth.

Whisk eggs with remaining 1/2 cup sugar, add puréed rhubarb and whisk to combine. Transfer to a saucepan with the cubed butter and cook over low heat, stirring continuously for 8 - 10 mins until thickened. Don't let it boil or the eggs will scramble. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon rose water - taste and add another 1/4 tsp if you prefer it a little stronger. When cool put into jars and store in the fridge.

It is not a pretty colour - sort of pinky tan, but it tastes really nice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2019 10:17AM by Ali W.
March 16, 2019 08:41AM
Thank you Ali, one of my rhubarb plants has stalks that actually produce rosy red tinged rhubarb when cooked. This should be perfect. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2019 08:41AM by Chris.
March 17, 2019 12:39AM
Thank you Ali, my rhubarb has the red stalks rather than green. I'll have to try this recipe as well, I guess it would have a fairly short fridge life so wonder if I could freeze some as I doubt my husband will eat it :-)
April 04, 2019 02:10AM
Did anyone make the Rhubarb Curd? And did you like it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.