Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

So sick of fat versus sugar scone choice at cafes

Posted by J1 
J1
So sick of fat versus sugar scone choice at cafes
March 20, 2019 11:05AM
So I've travelled to a different town/city and, for whatever reason, the desire for a scone comes up. I hardly ever eat them these days but now and again it seems like a fine thing to do. But I'm heartily sick of the choice being cheese scone, i.e. loads of greasy fat, or date scone, i.e. heaps of sickly sweet sugar. Both of them so unappealing. Would so appreciate someone doing something else that's not so heavy on the fat or sugar. I know the choice is cheese or date because majority rules but we outliers get awfully tired of this boring, unappetising situation. Today I made and took my own food and had a much better day......
Re: So sick of fat versus sugar scone choice at cafes
March 20, 2019 11:56AM
I hear you. My local cafe does a nice savoury vegetable scone, but the baking powder is so overdone that they're nearly inedible. I've mentioned it several times, but apparently I'm the only one who complains!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 11:58AM by Jenna.
March 21, 2019 04:21AM
I also hear you. The cafe we mostly go to offers savoury scones, the only gripe with those is that often the pieces of onion are a bit too large and because scones take so little time to cook it is very noticeable.
I have come to the conclusion that the humble scone, which is so easy to make, can vary hugely, depending on the expertise of the scone maker. A little bit like cooking the perfect omelette.
DK
March 22, 2019 10:37PM
Yes, a definite gap in the market is different flavours of scones. I think they would go down a treat, especially if you felt like something a but sweet, but not too sweet. Cinnamon scones, chocolate chip scones, lemon scones with bits of peel, walnut scones, banana scones, so many ideas.
March 23, 2019 07:21AM
I don't consider date scones to be loaded with sugar - or not so when a good cook makes them

If I am making 2 cups of flour I would put 3 tablespoons sugar, or 4 cups is 1/3 cup sugar - nowhere the quantity of sugar in a cake one can put only 2 tablespoons of sugar but not such a nice crisp crust with soft tender interior
My 2 cups flour make 10 scones or 8 large ones so only just over 8 grams per large scone just over 6g small scone - plus the dates
Or if I am making plain scones to split and put jam and whipped cream - well yes there is sugar in jam but my jam is half the standard quantity and 1/2 tsp in the cream and cream is instead of buttering
I love them and everyone else does also, as often take as a morning tea plate
March 26, 2019 11:27AM
I agree Heather, young and old when a nicely made scone is on offer everyone loves them, and whats not to love, I love cheese scones and any of the derivatives as long as they're made well. Just lovely and the perfect plate for a morning or afternoon tea. My dad (82) loves a date or sultana scone and a little dollop of thickened cream and jam is perfect. I'm always being told off by my married daughters for putting the jam on last (it's so pretty) because it slides off the cream and is hard to eat! Another story no doubt. Some of the other interesting varieties look temping but in the end I like the classics.
March 26, 2019 11:28AM
*tempting
April 29, 2019 11:20PM
I like the traditional scone either cheese or dates added definetely have never put sugar in scones sounds more like a muffin as does adding chocolate etc . I don't like sugar sprinkled on top either but i do like a god bit of butter to spread over. I don't like crumbly ones either I wonder what causes that.
May 02, 2019 12:16AM
Shelf cafe food is seldom healthy. I often ask for eggs on toast, avocado on toast or salmon on toast type things. I struggle with this too

Enjoying the coffee is often better and being a bit organised with snacks or hanging out and enjoying a nice proper lunch out.
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.